Monday, August 3, 2009

REVIEW: Raymond Scott Woolson - Accidental Grace Notes

7.75 out of 10

Ahhh (::breathing in::), a breath of fresh air, it's so peaceful and serene here. The stars seem brighter than usual, the air feels calmer, and the temperature is just right. I am relaxed and at peace with everything around me. I have just experienced Raymond Scott Woolson's fantasy of sound and atmosphere. My god, I feel good. Whether it's "accidental" or not, "grace" is definitely one of the main words that comes to mind when describing RSW's last release.

Originally released in 2006, this has to be one of the most overlooked Shoegaze albums of all time. "Accidental Grace Notes" is an album that no "gazer" can resist. It is also more of a "reissue" than a new album. It is a compilation of RSW's best work remixed/worked/fused together by a few conjoining samples and new guitar parts. The end result being one of the best instrumental/atmospheric releases in Shoegaze.. (er, umm, "Stargaze" as some call it) history. Raymond Scott Woolson's guitar is the main supporting element when it comes to forming his atmospheric landscapes. Lot's and lot's of reverberated guitar, mixed with airy/spacey synths, more guitar, minimal drumming, impeccable production, and more guitar. His sound can be best compared to Ulrich Schnauss, Robin Guthrie, or M83 (Dead Cities era). This was the last album Mr. Woolson released. However, I did (just recently) briefly speak with him and here's what he had to say, From Raymond Scott Woolson: "..I haven't released a new album in 4 years, and I have no idea when my latest album will ever see the light of day. I assumed I had been forgotten. Times have been hard, but I'll keep trudging forward." Keep your fingers crossed, and give the man as much support as possible. It would be a shame if we never get to hear any new RSW material again..

Although he's been a part of the "scene" for a while now, he manages to stay out of the lime light pretty well. Perhaps a bad publicist, maybe one "unjust" review, I don't know why. No matter what Raymond Scott Woolson's gorgeous ethereal layers of aural bliss have gone un-noticed for long enough now. Do not pass this album up. RECOMMENDED.

Standout Tracks: Selina's Bonfire, The Audubon Print (should never end), Cantate Domino, And The Loneliest Road Is The One That Leads Home

No comments:

Post a Comment