Monday, August 10, 2009

EIC'S10Q'S w/Washed Out

Very soon (hopefully) I will be drenching my headphones in sunset stained ocean vibes via..


Daydream Disco Surf-Popper

Washed Out Bio:
South Carolina isn’t exactly a musical hotbed, so it’s not surprising to find it the home of electronic shoegaze one-man act Washed Out (aka Ernest Greene). This year has seen the resurgence of lo-fi, garage and shoegaze genres and Greene’s music takes those influences and distills them into something quite different and very new.
There’s a sense of longing and distance in Greene’s somber, filtered vocals, but it’s what he does compositionally that makes Washed Out stand out. Backed by gently pulsing, Balearic-tinged disco, Greene’s voice takes on a new dimension. Reminiscent of groups like The Glass and The Chromatics, Washed Out is the music to end your night with, when the city is quiet and the walk home, long.



Hello, how are you?
Doing great...I'm writing from my parents home in rural Georgia...

What are you currently listening to?
I listen to A LOT of music on the internet, so its hard to say...I love that Beach Fossils song “Daydream”...I've probably listened to it 100 times...

What’s the music scene like in South Carolina?
Well, Columbia is a college town, so there are always bands popping up...House shows are my favorite, and they happen pretty regularly – especially in the summer...

I hear you’re almost done with your debut album, when can we expect that to come out / is there an official release date?
Not sure when the album will be released...I have a few tracks that I'll probably start leaking out to the internet in the next few weeks...

Will you be releasing the album independently or have you found a label to release it?
I've been talking to a few labels...hopefully, I'll work something out pretty quick...

What kind of vibe / what kind of sounds can we expect to hear on said album? Who were the main influences behind it?
It's definitely going to be an extension of the songs I've released so far...Same laid-back feel...
As far as influences go, again – its hard to say...but some of the obvious ones would be:
Bullion – Listen to this remix he did called “Afrika”
A lot of the GvB lofi stuff...
I really don't listen to dance music that often...but when I do its normally pretty laid-back headphone-type jams...

If you could pick anyone who would you like to tour with?
It would probably be my friend Chaz (Toro y Moi)...I'm sure it will happen one of these days...

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Manitoba's (now Caribou) “Up in Flames”...it probably doesn't come out much in my tunes now...but I was in love with this album a few years back...I love how its really complex and layered, but still feels really loose...A masterpiece for sure...

Are you living your dream?
I'm pretty close to it, I think...Really didn't have any ambitions beyond putting out a record, and that seems like it will probably work out...so I'm definitely happy right now!

Thanx Ernest!

Washed Out is currently finishing up his debut album, look for that soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment