Monday, January 4, 2010

REVIEW: Yeasayer - Odd Blood

8 out of 10

Here's another amazing 2010 release. "Odd Blood" is the second full length from Brooklyn's Yeasayer, it's also waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay (yeah, 36 "a's") better than I expected. I really enjoyed "All Hour Cymbals" quite a bit, but this one is more solid, more experimental, more "though out", and definitely more boisterous. I predict this album being on at least 6 of the top 10 blogger sites "Best of 2010" lists. I also see a lot of people comparing this to Animal Collective's "Merriweather..", we'll see I guess. Make up your own mind with this release, I'm pretty sure you will enjoy more than one moment with "Odd Blood", as I enjoyed several.

On "Odd Blood" Yeasayer pull out every trick in the book to create a perfectly deviant mindbender. It's hard to slap a genre on this album, which is why I may care for it so much, but If I had to classify it, maybe "Indie Acid World Pop"? Lot's of fun keyboard sound fx, clean guitar sounds, nicely produced vocals, and great pop drumming. Lot's of genre bouncing going on, 80's New Wave, Indie Pop, World music, etc. Every other song sounds different on this album, but still cohesive and catchy. I like all of the small details in-between the main instruments, they give the album an unconcluded fun edge.

Great album, I look forward to this young band's career. If they progress as much as they have from their first album to this one, they should in theory be the next Jesus (the deity, not the band).

Standout Tracks: The Children (love the vocal fx), I Remember, One (catchy island jams), Love Me Girl (so catchy, love the coyote), Rome (also REALLY catchy, kind of reminds me of Man Man), Mondegreen (great drum track, also love the sax)

No comments:

Post a Comment