Sunday, March 29, 2009

REVIEW: Khan Of Finland - Khan Of Finland

8.25 out of 10

Khan Of Finland is Can Oral (yep, that's his real name) on vocals/arrangements, "Human Beat-Box" Mark Boombastik, and Classically-trained pianist Boris Bergman. Khan Of Finland is lounge music with an Industrial/Hip-Hop twist.

In a way when I'm listening to this album (which I've done at least twice a day for the past week or so) I feel as if this is the Nick Cave album I never got but always wanted. I'm also reminded of Einsturzende Neubauten meets Biz Markie. Every song on this album is pretty tight as far as production and general composition, all catchy/head bobbers. "You Like To Party" is, by far, my favorite track. It almost reminds me of a lost Michael Gira song. "Favor After Favor" has a gorgeous melody/chord progression that is "eerily" close to Cat Powers "The Greatness". "Bottle Inn" has this great deep/burly vocal effect towards the middle of the song that reminds me of Tom Waits. Most of the songs utilize the same sounds; vocals, piano, a few computer treatments, and human beat-boxing.

Overall, this album blows me away. I realize some of the above references may sound "weird" placed next to each other, but have no fear, Khan Of Finland pull off this "signature" sound extremely well. Khan Of Finland is "Experimental Crooner" music for an "awry" generation..

Standout Tracks: Walking In The Rain, You Like To Party, Favor After Favor, Bottle Inn, Excommunication, Vier Jahreszeiten (listen to this track, it may sound familiar:)

No comments:

Post a Comment