Monday, September 2, 2013

EIC's 10Q's w/ White Poppy

"..a relaxing cruise drifting amongst waves of alluring vocals, pretty acoustics, perfect compositions, and distortions and drones galore.."

(Photo credit: Georgia Love)

White Poppy
Sublime Siren Sound
 
White Poppy Bio:
  Crystal Dorval is a multimedia Artist & Musician based in British Columbia, Canada. She produces music and performs live under the moniker White Poppy. Recently she created a blog called Sanity Soap which explores mental health.


Hello, how are you?
Hi, I’m good thanks!

What are you currently listening to?
I am currently listening to the birds outside my window, and the hum of the early morning air. ;)

Is there a story behind the name?
I chose the name White Poppy because I liked the symbolism of the actual white poppy flower. I thought it suited my own personal philosophy.

What or whom inspired you the most to begin this project?
There were a few friends who inspired me, and I was also discovering a lot of new music and art at the time. I think a big contributor was the fact that I was in a transitional period in life. I wanted to start something new, that was more intentional and cohesive then what I had previously done.

Care to shed some light on your recent release 'Drifters Gold'; theme, favorite track(s), etc?
'Drifters Gold' is inspired by the idea of bliss or paradise. The title is borrowed from a book of poems about similar themes. I also wanted to capture a feeling that would go well with summer leisure. I think my favorite song on the album is the closing track, "When I’m Gone".

Will you be touring extensively for said release?
I am going on a west coast tour in September, and I am currently contemplating plans to play a few shows on the east coast in October. That will be in support of my new LP that comes out on September 3rd.

Got any other projects we should know about?
I recently started a blog about mental health called ‘Sanity Soap’. It features music, writing, comics and resources about mental health and mental illness. SanitySoap.com  I also make visual art, which I am trying to talk about more. CrystalDorval.com

What movie would work best on mute while listening to your music?
Oh my. I'm not sure. Something with mermaids in it maybe.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Ahhh I’d rather die then only listen to one album for life. Just kidding. Maybe I would chose the ‘Cluster & Eno’ collaborative album so I could sneak in two artists.

Are you living your dream?
Not yet. Hope to one day! ;)

Thanx Crystal!

White Poppy recently released 'Drifters Gold', which is one of the best new releases from 2013..she also has a new LP coming out TOMORROW!

No comments:

Post a Comment