Monday, September 9, 2013

EIC's 10Q's w/ Rudi Arapahoe

"..could leave lingering goosebumps all over your body and through your headphones.."


Rudi Arapahoe
Exploring Somber Milieus

Rudi Arapahoe Bio:
Sound Artist, Composer and Mastering Engineer working from Helix Branch.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg5vFIWtSQ5lkX0TFAjkHi8ljmq4cafVuCpmkVbsa6jS4UpgIUPmn_5mJvz_V_ZvaCYchafc8E2nStK1uzUL8M5fS7OXs4FEzDNo_iR9-3VDw4rADyMUuBVHg_w3ORV03A55dj9N3L1DeE/s150/10qswRUDIARAPAHOE.jpg

Hello, how are you?
I'm feeling very calm, thank you!

What are you currently listening to?
Last night I was listening to Eno's 'Lux' whilst treating myself to a re-read of Vladimir Nabokov's 'Pale Fire'.

It seems like you've "been away" for a while, what have you been up to?
Oh quite a bit, I work at modest pace. The 'Double Bind' EP was composed in 2008. After completing the EP I undertook extensive renovations of my Victorian home. This project occupied me for about 8 months and I'm pleased with the results. It was nice to take a break from music. Recently my thoughts have been returning to the interior design. After the structural renovations, I began work on a full length album that explored Balkan region Folk and religious song, this work was completed in 2011 and is yet to see the light of day. During this period, I worked as part of Bob Dickinson's Komposit chamber orchestra to realise his composition 'Rendition'. In 2011 I also worked with the Danish multimedia Martin Thaulow on an uplifting dance based installation, themed around memory and ageing called 'Contraction'. Then in 2012 we collaborated on another artwork, this was focused on memory, decay, time and the parallel digital worlds we inhabit, it was titled In 'Older Kingdoms'. A little later in 2012 I became involved in another dance work, 'Instinctive Matter', this piece was premièred at Wilton's Music hall and toured the UK summer festivals. Additionally, throughout the past few years I've been undertaking mastering work for a variety of labels such as Hibernate Recordings, Symbolic Interaction, Second Language Music, Time Released Sound, Signal Dada, and Hands in The Dark. I also undertake a considerable amount of sound design and commercial composition roles for media companies.

Care to shed some light on the 'Double Bind' EP; theme, favorite track(s), etc?
I have a BSc (UK Degree) Psychology and a long standing interest in abnormality. During the creation of the EP I conducted a 360 degree analysis of my worldly relations through the eyes of Gregory Batson's Double Bind theory. It's an introspective work that deploys much of the same musicians as to 'Echoes From One To Another', however the music language is more abstracted, the harmony is more complex and perhaps more beautiful as a result.

Will you be touring extensively for said release?
No, I’m quite the recluse. Occasionally I get interesting offers to perform; however I  would need a considerable budget to put together a performance that represents what I  do.

Will we have to wait this long for the next LP?
‘Shuffle The Pages Feed Me A Line’ my second album, was completed in July 2011. It  was shopped around a considerable number of world music labels by my friend Oliver Barnett; however the album was deemed too eclectic, melancholic and strange; to be commercially viable. Inversely, experimental record labels felt the album is ‘too pop’ – ‘too rhythmical’ – ‘too vocal’ – ‘too polished’ - I was flirting with an early 90's Ambient   ascetic whilst creating the project. A lot of the sound design is created by instruments   of the era such as the Yamaha TX802 and Korg Wavestation synthesizers. In post production, I worked extensively with my close friend and audio engineer Shuta Shinoda  to process the sound with an array of 80s and 90s hardware reverbs and effects. ‘Shuffle The Pages Feed Me A Line’ is my producer album and love story for the early nineties   and Dead Can Dance.

Speaking of.. Got any other projects we should know about?
No.

What movie would work best on mute while listening to you music?
The Quay Brothers' 'The Piano Tuner Of Earthquakes'... I have a strong empathy with their work.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Tricky’s ‘Maxinquaye’ – I still remember hearing "Ponderosa" for the first time.

Are you living your dream?
I used to have a beautiful recurring dream of a girl kneading bread with her tears as moisture. Lately, I have been flying over my family’s home, swooping near to the corn fields and then blasting through the clouds; where the air becomes so thin, that I have to  swallow it down with glee. Creating music closes the gaps between waking and dreaming.

Thanx Rudi!

Rudi Arapahoe recently released a new EP, you can get that HERE. I also STRONGLY recommend you get this now...

No comments:

Post a Comment