Saturday, May 18, 2013

EIC's 10Q's w/ Ekin Fil

"..the most beautifully-warm/pacifying environment possible.."


Ekin Fil
 Syngnathidae Sprite Lullaby

Ekin Fil Bio:
Operating out of Istanbul, Ekin Fil is the solo project of Turkish musician Ekin Üzeltüzenci. Her music first came to the ears of many by way of 'Language', a 2011 cassette release on the Root Strata label that presented listeners with a fractured, hazy sound-world in which half-remembered melodies and wraith-like vocals cohered into dark and hypnotic masses. On 'Ekin Fil', Üzeltüzenci opens the curtains a bit, letting in some light and offering up an even more refined work. This haunting collection of songs wouldn't sound out of place on Drunken Fish Records in 1995, effectively channeling the ghosts of Roy Montgomery and the Bristol Shoegaze scene, while occupying similar sonic climes to those traversed by Grouper and Jessica Bailiff. "Anything Anywhere" opens the album and articulates its central concerns, with obscured, rhythmic guitar shapes coiling around Üzeltüzenci's ethereal voice. Later, field recordings usher in the blackened night of "Two Stars," one of the record's most stark and exhilarating movements. Ultimately, 'Ekin Fil' is a remarkably cohesive statement, an album of devotional pieces that function together to form a beautiful, faraway whole.


Hello, how are you?
I'm fine, thank you.

What are you currently listening to?
I recently discovered Andy Stott.. Been listening to his latest album almost constantly everyday.

When did you begin writing music and whom/what were your biggest influences for said project? 
I was so young when I first got into music. 5-6 or so, but when I started Ekin Fil, my initial aim was to heal myself, I was trying to get rid of broken hearts, trying to get better through music. But generally, the things that I am influenced by are usually the things that I can connect/relate to, in one way or another. If it has the power to move me away from the current moment and the mood that I am in, and make me believe in things or the opposite, then I am sold.

Care to tell us a little bit about your latest s/t release?
I think it's a bit more open, a bit more direct than my previous stuff.

Any plans to tour for said release?
Hope so..

If you could choose any artist(s) to remix your work, whom would you choose and why?
Could be many, but nowadays I would say Andy Stott. I feel something very nostalgic about him. Like when I used to listen to Seefeel or Scala in the 90s. I wonder how it would have turned out though.

Got any other projects we should know about?
I am a part of the band Proudpilot. But we are not moving on right now. I guess we paused the band.

What movie would work best on mute while listening to you music? 
I really don't know, but if I can choose.. I would love to do something for John Cassavetes, Bergman, Antonioni or Bruno Dumont.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Could it be a mixtape? If so there would be names like Cocteau Twins, Grouper, Biblo, Pierre Henry, Paavoharju, Ligeti, Fikret Kızılok and Alice Coltrane on it.

Are you living your dream? 
I'm just doing what I feel like doing and this works on a very natural level, like a natural process. It's very nice to meet people who can relate to what I do too, I feel good in that way.

Thanx Alex & Ekin!

Ekin Fil recently released her "debut" LP via Students Of Decay, do yourself a favor (like I did) and become obsessed...

No comments:

Post a Comment