Wednesday, May 18, 2011

REVIEW: Raymond Scott Woolson - Broken Things Mended

7 out of 10

There are certain genres in music that definitely shaped my ears into what they are today. One of those said genres (as you all may know) is Shoegaze. Being a big fan of this genre is nice, there are a lot of projects that are equally amazing, a few that are "meh", but really they're all attainable/easily located nowadays. What I mean by that is this; "if you like Mogwai ..you'll like this.." and so on and so on.. A lot of bands in the Shoegaze sound a lot like each other. I'm not complaining though, because that's how I found so many amazing acts in this genre. Raymond Scott Woolson was one of those acts, "if you like "Ulrich Schnauss", you'll like.." The review was spot on. RSW is a bit of a tiny shadow when it comes to the genre which is unfortunate. The talent is overwhelming, the sounds are reminiscent to M83, Robin Guthrie, Ulrich Schnauss, etc., yet he seems to go without notice for some reason. Shame on you my fellow gazers (tisk tisk)..

"Broken Things Mended" is Mr. Woolson's 5th release. When I received an email from his label asking if I would like a copy for review I was both ecstatic and in shock. I honestly thought RSW was one of those artists that would release a handful of albums (which he had) and disappear completely (I didn't want him to, it had just been a while). Turns out he's been working on this album night and day to make it "just right" for all of it's intended listeners. "Broken Things Mended" sounds a lot like it's predecessors; 103% Instrumental/"Slightly-Post Rock-y" Shoegaze. Only, this time it's got a bit more of an "Adult Contemporary" edge to it. Now that doesn't mean it's necessarily "cheesy" or something lame your dad/the dentist would listen to (although he probably would--hey I should call my dentist actually..::AHEM::). The sounds on this disc range in style. Some songs are "poppier"/more bright than others, some are spacey downers. This album took me a few listens before I finally realized what I was experiencing; soothing, epic, and transcending ripples of guitar notes drenched in reverb and keyboard drones that actually put me in quite the peaceful/relaxed state. This album is honest and simple. There are complex layers of sound, but the way they are presented makes this release listenable to nearly any fan of (good)music.

Fans of instrumental Shoegaze should love this. If you're in-need of something laid back but sort of up lifting.. you will love this.

Standout Tracks: The Vision Maker, Runner Run Home, Awake O Sleeper In Your Waiting Fields

No comments:

Post a Comment