Monday, March 18, 2013

EIC's 10Q's w/ Makeup And Vanity Set

"..sensual Disco-Tech..slowly transcending into moody midnight desert drive music.."


Makeup And Vanity Set
Ultra Modern Sensual Expansive

Makeup And Vanity Set Bio
Makeup And Vanity Set is Armando Apache Putay. He lives in the foothills of the Great Wizard Mountains. Under the light of Jupiter’s moon, he makes jams; and with the help of mighty beasts and magic prophecy, he seeks to discover his true identity at any cost. These are his jams. This is his story.

Hello, how are you?
Life has been all over the place lately. Right now things are good though. My feet are on the ground.

What are you currently listening to?
"Rollin' & Scratchin'" by Daft Punk has been on repeat lately. I go back to it a lot. It's so abrasive and perfect and raw.

Whats with the band name?
Sitting in front of a computer making music for hours is a bit like sitting in front of a vanity in a way. you're sort of staring into it trying to find yourself. It's a weird juxtaposition considering the ski masks.

When did this project come about and whom were your biggest influences for said project?
Musically it's Moroder, Jarre, and Vangelis. There's other stuff in there, but those guys influenced everyone, so it's all relative. I watch a ton of film and that influences me a lot more than music. I love old science fiction movies like 'Blade Runner' or 'Logan's Run' or Tarkovsky's 'Solaris' and their perceptions of what the future would look like. I'm more attracted to the tone of the movie or the tone of a specific sequence. A lot of the music I make operates with the idea that it could live in those places. There's a lot of catharsis in getting lost in that.  

Care to tell us a little bit about your latest LP '88:88'?
Before I'd started writing, '88:88' was an almost finished, high production value / low budget short that I was luckily tacked onto during post production. The director, Joey Ciccoline, was going to license a song I wrote and we hit it off and I ended up scoring it. After spending a lot of time in the film writing the score, an album just sort of happened. The album '88:88' was meant to be a sister to the film - it starts where the film ends and represents where the character goes and what happens to her. It wasn't a planned out thing - it just sort of happened, literally from start to finish, in order. Visual things are so motivating to me. I feed off of that. the film ended up in a ton of festivals and was shown at the Venice Film Festival, almost winning Ridley Scott's YouTube film festival competition. Joey created something really great.

Any plans to tour for said release?
There's always a chance something like that could happen. I started working with a full-time drummer and that's radically changed things. I've been playing shows for a long time and they're so difficult in terms of set up and execution and having to try to make it seem like you're not up there doing your taxes or a spreadsheet or something.

If you could choose any artist(s) to remix your work, whom would you choose and why?
I'd love to work with more filmmakers, honestly. After the experience with Joey on '88', and working with Caspar Newbolt of Version Industries on the album covers, the idea of collaborating with visual artists is infinitely more interesting to me.

Got any other projects we should know about?
I have this other thing called DAAS. You can find it here: daas.bandcamp.com.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Choosing one single album would be impossible for me. Brian Eno wrote two of the greatest pieces of music ever written; "The Big Ship," and "An Ending (Ascent)." I could live with those songs forever I think.

Are you living your dream?
Always.

Thanx Matthew!

Makeup And Vanity Set recently released a new single, I strongly recommend you check it out.. (it's free)

No comments:

Post a Comment