Monday, March 4, 2013

EIC's 10Q's w/ Aches

"..sparse-dark chill-out zone, with a bit of glossy head trip.." 


Aches
Automated Bioclimatic

Aches Bio:
'Glass Lip' is the debut album by Aches, the musical project of British-born now Slovakia-based artist Jonny Fox. After carving out parallel paths in live art and electronic music while living in Sheffield, London and Devon, Fox located to Bratislava. This is where Aches emerged, forged in the excitement and trepidation of a new country.  Erudite programming joins with clouds of guitar and vocals referencing both the magisterial chorus of Cocteau Twins and more formless varieties of Shoegaze. Melodies are agitated into strange shapes by beats which hum, click and snap at them. Voices murmur through the haze, subtly manipulated into uncanny territories, emotions ebb and swell unexpectedly.  Preceded by the single "Bullet Sleep’" and the EP 'Fine Tongue', 'Glass Lip' is Aches’ third release with Slovakian independent record label Exitab. Supported by stunning live shows which have impressed around Eastern Europe and the UK, the LP is a bold and powerful work by a flourishing talent in electronic music.


Hello, how are you?
I'm good, thanks for asking! :)

What are you currently listening to?
Eraas, Burial, Andy Stott, The Blue Nile, Casi Cada Minuto, Grouper, Fairewell, Herzog Herzog. Did you mean what am I listening to right now? That would be Forest Swords.

Are there "specific aches" that you are referring to with this project name?
Mostly the name refers to the position I’m in when I write music, hunched over a device or guitar on my bed or floor for a good length of time. There's also some stuff about conversational tension involved.

When did this project come about and whom were your biggest influences for said project?
It came over a pretty long time of deliberation and creating a lot of hyper programmed music which I didn’t know what to do with, eventually I just deleted all of that and started fresh. The real turning point was when decided to move to Slovakia from my birthplace in England, to wake up the senses around me and really spend time concentrating on music just with a guitar and laptop.

Care to tell us a little bit about your debut release 'Glass Lip'?
Its kind of like a diary of the first six months since leaving home. I wanted to make something technical but also organic and strongly connected to my dreams and experiences. I think you can hear that it was easy in parts and difficult in others.

Any plans to tour for said release?
I have a Euro tour lined up in May with a guy who makes beautiful noise called SNDYPRLS from Germany. Guys from Creepy Teepee festival in the Czech republic organised it for us since we played at the last festival and they liked us. My booking manager is also organizing the summer festivals now.

Got any other projects we should know about?
There's a new Aches record in the pipeline.. I’m taking a more live approach this time using much more found samples, I got this dream talk recorder last week...

What movie would work best on mute while listening to you music?
Man that's a tough question! Impossible! I guess it would be some kind of minimalist apocalyptic manga. Or at least that's the film I would like to make... :)

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Probably Groupers album 'Dragging A Dead Dear Up A Hill'; its one of the most beautiful records, it lets you think, lets you concentrate and reflect, its like medicine.

Are you living your dream?
My dreams change quite often but I know what I'm doing right now really makes sense to me.

Thanx Jonny!

Aches has a tumblr that he updates (for the most part) daily, I recommend you follow him there to keep up...

No comments:

Post a Comment