Thursday, January 13, 2011

REVIEW: Sun City Girls - Funeral Mariachi

8.25 out of 10
Find it here.

Here's another one of those great albums I missed in 2010. Had I been paying attention "Funeral Mariachi" could have easily landed in the top half of my year-end list. As for the genre, hmmm.. "Unclassifiable?" How about next time you're in a estranged-peppy mood you listen to this and tell me what you think it is? Ooh wait! I know, how about South American Campfire Psych-Folklore-Core..?(<-that's a genre now:)

We all know I'm a sucker for strange sounds evolving and mutating into one cohesive mind warp of an album. On "Funeral Mariachi" Sun City Girls perfect that concept as well as take it to a whole other level, creating what could be/is their best work yet. (Side Note: They've got A LOT of releases, you should look/listen when you get a moment.) I wish I could say I've heard all of the Sun City Girls releases, but I haven't ..yet, I'll need more shortly though. My brain needs sounds like these to survive. SCG remind me of Akron/Family mixed with the sounds of South American tribes celebrating with peyote by moon light. The general tone is "Psych-Folk" but there are also elements of Classical, Jazz, Freak Folk, Shoegaze/Early 4AD kind of vibes, and yes, a thick root in ghostly Latino sounds. The first third of the album is somewhat uppity/crazy/mind bending. The last two thirds (the parts I like a lil more) is somewhat chill and relaxing almost Jazzy, but still bizarre. Just get it and tell me what you think. I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

A fine mix between Akron/Family, Animal Collective, The Books, Dead Can Dance, Juana Molina, Pink Floyd, and a little bit of WTF. These guys have mastered a craft that is almost unmatchable. Fans of the weird & bizarre, consider "Funeral Mariachi" your chicken soup. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Standout Tracks: This Is My Name, Vine Street Piano (this shouldn't end..ever), Blue West, Holy Ground (E-N-O), Mineral Wells (nice piano piece), Funeral Mariachi (nice jazz piece)

No comments:

Post a Comment