Monday, January 10, 2011

EIC'S10Q'S w/Rotten Tropics

"..reminiscent of a garage band with focused energy on Gothic tones melded with Post Modern soundscapes. There is also a bit of Industrial sludge there, as well as a throwback to the early days of simple/elegant Post Punk music.."


Rotten Tropics
Opaque Derelict Methodologies

Rotten Tropics Bio:
Rotten Tropics is a hybrid of Dark/Grimey Post Punk Shoegaze music formed from the afterbirth Lo-Fi Industrial tones. Rotten Tropics is also Jakub Tywoniuk. So far RT has released "Bukowski" (single), and "Corrose Tropes EP", both of which are FREE on his bandcamp site. This is only the beginning of this young artists career, but a bright start with a promising future none-the-less.


Hello, how are you?
Hey, I am fine at the moment.

What are you currently listening to?
My next-door neighbour likes to blast Hip Hop very early in the morning. Lately I have been battling him with some Spiritualized, Spacemen 3, Aphex Twin, and Swans.

Where does the name Rotten Tropics come from?
I would like to keep that one vague. It is not an interesting story. Just a good strong mental image.

Can you please explain your sound in five words or less?
Dread Fog Panic Shoegaze Kafka

What is the overall theme/feel you were going for with your "Corrosive Tropes" EP?
Its about those unpleasant feelings of sublime awe, ominous anxiety, the ambiguity of communication, self loathing. I have no idea if using music as a means of catharsis helps the mental state of the artist at all. I might just be digging a deeper grave for myself. Each song has to send shivers down my spine. That way I know it is saying something.

Is there a title/tentative release date for your debut LP?
I think I will keep doing EP's. The length of an album seems kind of arbitrary and CD's are dead. Composing five decent songs took me about a year to do. Less is more!

Are you guys officially signed to any label yet?
No, It seems pretty damn unlikely to me. Maybe even pointless.

Can you please name a few current bands that should be bigger by now?
Hmmm... Hildur Gudnadóttir from Iceland, Xinlisupreme from Japan. As for local bands in Toronto... Actual Water and Noble Savage.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Uhh, something without vocals. It changes every five minutes, man. Maybe "Amber" by Autechre.

Are you living your dream?
No. I am a mess. That makes for good tunes, though. All I want is to write interesting songs and occasionally shout them to a room full of people.

Thanx Jakub!

Rotten Tropics is currently working on his next EP, look for that in the near future... What's that? Can't wait?

Here's a FREE track ("The Stranger") from the upcoming album (so far unnamed--as far as I know) for your listening pleasure...

No comments:

Post a Comment