Monday, January 24, 2011

REVIEW: Evan Voytas - Tomorrow Night We'll Go Anywhere

7 out of 10

It was about a year ago when I first stumbled across Evan Voytas. He's got quite a few free singles/EPs on the web, but it was the song "I Run With You, Spirit Animal" that truly spoke to me, I listened to it back to back to back to back to etc. Since then, I have made it a point to find, follow, click, and download everything involving this up and comer's blossoming career. Flash forward about 4 months later, and a new label was born, Cascine. Cascine is a cousin label to SRVC (which you may or may not know releases some of the best "across the pond" Electronic Pop/Kraut music today). Since it's birth, Cascine has gone on to release some of the finest EP's of any present young internet label out there. Naturally, when I heard Cascine would be releasing Mr Voytas' (official) debut EP I knew it would be a match made in ear heaven.

"Tomorrow Night We'll Go Anywhere" is a more than promising debut, it could (maybe) be the future of Indie Electro music. Evan Voytas has a way with melding 80's Electro Pop with Dream Pop (just a tad) and modern sounding Bedroom Pop. I am somewhat reminded of a "jangle-ier/poppier"/more nostalgic M83 ...sometimes. What I like the most about Evan's sound is it's care-free apathetic approach towards itself. He only asserts himself as much as needed, and that works. Sometimes simple just works best with albums like these, and as long as Evan keeps to it he could end up being one of the leading innovators of today's Internet music scene. I imagine "Tomorrow Night We'll Go Anywhere" working well as a soundtrack for a road trip to the beach. You'll want to spend the day at said beach, relax & truly absorb it's grandeur. Worry about that moment only, tomorrow night you can do more and go anywhere. Only, I don't live near a shoreline, so I'll just have to assume this, as well as remain hopeful through my long and grey "stuck in the middle of the country" Winter nights that I will one day utilize this album for said venture. -sigh- At least I do feel a little warmer now, now that I've got Evan by the sides of my head..:)

If you like your Indie Electronic music with a dash of hermetic intellect and touching bits of cool human emotion Evan's got what ales ya. Can't wait for the debut LP! Til then.. Recommended.

Standout Tracks: Tomorrow Night We'll Go Anywhere, Astro, We'll Go Far

No comments:

Post a Comment