Monday, January 31, 2011

REVIEW: Lake R▲dio - Planet Earth About To Be Recycled

7.75 out of 10
Find it here.

A few months ago I came across Lake R▲dio (another freebie ala Bandcamp). I listened to the album "Planet Earth About To Be Recycled" a couple times in a row and thought it was pretty good. Every listen after that I noticed myself becoming more and more addicted. Each layer, sample, mechanistic operation and dream-like sequence left me wanting more. Actually, song's like "Watcher" and "Binker Part Two" were a couple of the best tracks I heard in 2010 (yes they're that good). Turns out with each listen I would find more and more songs that I was equally addicted to.

So what kind of music is Lake R▲dio? Not necessarily "Witch House" although one might think that with the "▲" symbol. Not necessarily "normal" Electronic music either. More so in-between the two, think Boards Of Canada meets a "Lo-Fi" John Carpenter (kind of). Lake R▲dio is one man's focus on his "disturbing" dreams, which if his dreams are half as spooky as his compositions are at some points I could see how it could mold him into the man he is today.. "Planet Earth About To Be Recycled" is Caden Moore's debut LP under this moniker. A strong debut at that. Mixing styles of 90's Acid House (sort of) with the earlier days of sample driven Industrial music, Witch House, modern Psychedelic textures, and euphoric IDM, Lake R▲dio is something any "techno head" could easily lay their ears into. It's kind of hard to slap a genre on this kind of music although I'm sure most people will assume "Witch House". Please don't short change this artist though. This is the beginning of an interesting Electronic musician's up and coming career that could or could not break the mold of a tiring genre. Much like many of the tracks on this album Mr. Moore doesn't promise to stick to just one style. Also, the fact that this artist creates most of his music from VHS samples simply puts a smile on my face. Why not right? Gawd I love what the internet has done to modern Pop sounds/art.

OK Mr. R▲dio, you've got my attention, just keep it up and give more more, stat. It's "free", what do you have to lose? HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (#71 of 2010).

Standout Tracks: VCR Operation (CCU-esque), I've Been Gone, Binker Part Two, Watcher (I dare you not to LOVE this song), Lights

No comments:

Post a Comment