Monday, April 15, 2013

REVIEW: Kool A.D. - 19

8.25 out of 10

Blurring the line between solid-original Electronic beats and classic ("sometimes modern") Hip Hop isn't always the easiest thing. However, with each new Kool A.D. release (Victor Vazquez) seems to master this concept with ease. His latest mixtape '19' is solid proof that he is more than competent enough & ready to produce the next best underground Hip Hop release of all time..(hopefully).

I love a great mixtape, and I LOVE when a mixtape displays an artists full knowledge and skill levels by tinkering with multiple genres/styles. '19', part of a two-part mixtape (here's the other), is full of club bangers, chill hooks, wonky lyrics, playful/experimental banter, and an attitude (between humorous self-indulgent and moral morose) that just can't be denied. How this producer has time for anything in his life is beyond me, look into all of the projects this guy is involved in, he's quite the prolific producer. Out of everything I've heard of his though (Das Racist included), this project is my favorite. I'd like to think/probably can predict that this release will be perfect for all this warm weather coming up (it's coming right??). No matter, blast this beast and let the bass nod you into a "yeah I'm slick as hell for listening to this music right now trance".

While listening to Kool A.D. I can't help but be reminded of Clouddead's Gonzo Hip Hop sound (only present-tense polished a bit), this is a high mark too in my book because I really love that collective. I belieb in Kool A.D. and you should too.

Standout Tracks: All of 'em, especially; Marine World Africa USA (Feat. Issue) (Prod. Issue), Venderdores (Feat. Tray 57) (Prod. Young L) (on repeat), Beautiful Naked Psychedelic Gherkin Exploding Tomato Sauce All Over Ur Face, Flame Grilled Painting (Feat. Haji Springer & Bill Ding) (Prod.Bill Ding) (these lyrics make sense to me), Hawaii 510 (Feat. Cuzzo Fly & Citizen Chance) (Prod. Mac Mean)

No comments:

Post a Comment