Tuesday, August 7, 2012

EIC's 10Q's w/ Teeel

".. synths + synths + more synths + on top of a few more synths with a dash of guitar and smooth vocals (+ synths).."


Teeel
Approaching Console Control

Teeel Bio:
Teeel (Jim Smith) is a electronic music producer/songwriter from New Jersey, founder of Synth Records (Synthemesc Recordings) and iheartsynths.com. Inspired by the 80s new wave movement, Teeel credits his sound to marathon movie watching and being an obsessive gear head. Creating music in a 10×10 teal painted room, stacked with synthesizers and guitars, Teeel produces music that ranges from hypnotic vocal synthpop to dreamwave and dark electronic rock.


Hello, how are you?
Things are great! Very busy with Synthemesc (Synth Records) and just finished a few new Teeel remixes for Ian McGlynn, Selebrities, Spanish Prisoners, and Ana Lola Roman. Life is busy but great!

What are you currently listening to?
Mostly electronic. The artists on my label are always sending new tracks so I always have fresh music to listen to. At work I listen to a lot of 80s-inspired Electro acts such as FM Attack, Tesla Boy, College, Mitch Murder, Power Glove, Miami Nights' '1984', and Lazerhawk. I'm always turning back to my favorites too like Cut Copy, Phantogram, Com Truise, Washed Out and Tycho, I've recently got back to listening to my vinyl collection of Depeche Mode, New Order, OMD, and Tears for Fears. Even Pink Floyd, Joy Division and old drum and bass. The Classics in my book.

Care to shed some light on the band name?
The color holds a few different meetings. My studio walls are teal, it's one of my favorite colors. With a name like Jim Smith I wanted to do something different so I switched up the spelling. The color also has a meaning of emotion, unique and pleasant so it's a great representation of my music.

LOVE the new album, care to tell us a little bit about it; theme, recording process, likes/dislikes, etc.?
The second album, 'University Heights' was challenging but an exciting experience. I spent a lot more time using more live equipment which was very time consuming. I also added more guitar and a great deal of time on the overall mix compared to the first album. The concept was inspiration from my high school and college years. I was into everything from Hard Rock and Metal to Dark Drum & Bass. At the time, I was really growing an obsession towards music, playing in bands, buying vinyl and CDs. As I learned more about DJing and producing, my style of writing was constantly changing and I was experimenting with different instruments and genres. The new album carries this theme and has a pretty eclectic mix of songs but still maintained my sound. I wanted to get some guitar tracks on there, a few dance tracks and really push the album in different directions. There is an obvious connection to movies too, with the song titles and some of the lyrics. I'm quite obsessed with movies as well. The artwork is an amazing finger painting from my 1-year old nephew, Hayden James Mitchell. I couldn't have done a better job and have it hanging in my studio.

Will you be touring to support "University Heights"?
I have a few shows lined up in New York and Philly in the upcoming months and will be making my way to a few cities in the US. I don't have a scheduled tour though. I've also been talking to a few people about international shows as well. We'll see.

You recently started a label right? How did this idea come up?
Well, I've always wanted a label but I thought it was a good time to start now that I was really getting involved with Teeel and meeting so many great musicians. I'm always on my computer so I'm able to maintain the label, my websites, and communicate with artists all over the world on a daily basis. I'm constantly talking to new bands, blogs and other labels and promoters. There is so much music to explore out there and I love every bit of it. I started Synth Records to form a collective group of like-minded musicians with similar inspiration and passion for electronic music. We're constantly sharing new material and working to grow together. It's really fun.

Got any other projects we should know about?
We have a compilation album coming out with the next issue of Discosalt Magazine featuring a song from each artist. As for Teeel, I'm working with a couple artists and working on the instrumental album. I plan on getting new posters, more shirts, albums out there soon too. Everything should be out in the next month or two.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Air's 'Moon Safari'. I own that album on every format.

Are you living your dream?
Everyday. Gotta live the dream.

Thanx Jim!

On top of a small East Coast tour Teeel is currently running a pretty sweet label that I recommend you check into, also please listen to his music too (if you haven't done so by now)...

No comments:

Post a Comment