Monday, August 8, 2011

REVIEW: Grimes - Halfaxa

8 out of 10



Last year the (well, most of the) world was introduced to Grimes. It was a big year for young Ms. Boucher, she released not one, but two dazzling albums. The first gem was "Geidi Primes" (which was #47 of 100), the second was "Halfaxa" (#48). I know, I'm a little late in regards to talking about/shedding some light on this album, but better late than never right? In-fact, Grimes has actually released a newer (split) album with D'eon this year and re-released "Geidi Primes".. Anyways, it's hard to say which release I like more, the first one I listened to more, but I think this one may have more impact on larger crowds. They're both very similar in sound/general tone. A bit of that "Nu R&B" sound, or whatever it's called, mixed with a touch of Gothic Gaze and Lo-Fidelity Electro beats.



I like Grimes, her music is honest and pleasant. Her voice reminds me of Elizabeth Fraser (Cocteau Twins) meets Alison Shaw (Cranes), her music is perfect for (almost) any occasion/mood, and I think she'll leave a mark/make a big difference in the way woman pursue music in the future. Ms. Grimes swears to no previous musical learning's and/or knowledge of producing music before this project, but to be honest it sounds like that of a veteran. It feels good when you discover you're hidden talent. Throughout "Halfaxa's" genius you will hear/pick up elements of Gang Gang Dance, the artists I mentioned above, minimal Electro/Lo-Fi Electronic productions, sensual/seductive melodies, serene lullabies, heavenly oddities, and really (I just can't stress this enough) AMAZING vocals.



Unless you're living under an internet-less rock you've probably come across/heard of Grimes by now, you know exactly how awesome/important this project is. (everything by Grimes will most likely always be) Highly Recommended.



Standout Tracks: All terrific, I really like Weregild (repeatrepeat), Dragvandil, Dream Fortress, Swan Song, ≈Ω≈ω≈ω≈ω≈ω≈ω≈ω≈ω≈ (not sure how to pronounce this one), My Sister Says The Saddest Things (sooo gooood), Favriel

No comments:

Post a Comment