Monday, August 15, 2011

REVIEW: Big Black Delta - BBDLP1

9.25 out of 10



Much like most of you (I assume anyways) I hadn't really heard much about Big Black Delta until the recent remix they did with M83 on the Tron Soundtrack. I had to know more about this band and how or why M83 choose them as a studio roommate ..So like any other music nut with a mild case of OCD, I googled them and dug up as much info as possible. It turns out Big Black Delta is one man, Jonathan Bates from Mellowdrone (do you remember them?), AND he had recently placed an entire EP (FOR FREE!!) on his site. A click of a button later and her I am, addicted, in-fact, BBD may just have my vote for the best newcomer (so far anyways) of 2011.



Jonathan has a knack for producing top quality/really cosmic synths (both crunchy and smooth) with amazing guitar hooks/bass lines (incredibly catchy), loud banging drums (of the "loud variety") and melts between your headphone vocal melodies (damn impressive). I may be going on a limb here, but I think BBD sounds a lot like Muse meets M83. The official debut album "BBDLP1" is Rocky & Atmospheric combined perfectly and I think I can honestly say I love every track equally on it (not one filler). There's nothing not to like about this album, beginning to end it will grab you and leave an impression..



I can feel my ears hugging my brain after listening to this. Gonna be HIGH(ly Recommended) up on my year end list.



Standout Tracks: ALL. Huggin & Kissin (love the vocal pitch-shift change/distortion towards the end), Ifuckingloveyou (gives me the tingles), Dreary Moon (GORGEOUS.), PB3 (W-O-W), Roost (this album ends perfectly)

No comments:

Post a Comment