Sunday, February 1, 2009

REVIEW(s): TOP 20 Soundtracks

SOUNDTRACKS ARE TRICKY:

I love film. I love that it shows us things we could never see, or sometimes even dream of. I love when directors take chances that Hollywood wouldn't necessarily agree with. I love when I'm with a group of friends and we're all thoroughly involved in what we're watching. I love it the most when a movie lets it's soundtrack do the talking for it. Below are the best soundtracks I have the pleasure of owning. Soundtracks can be tricky. Sometimes you get a great compilation of random artists and sometimes you get an amazing score. My dream job is a music consultant. The guy that picks music for media, like soundtracks, commercials, etc. I know soundtracks are generally a personal experience, but I think you will agree with some of the albums listed below. Enjoy.



"Top 20 Soundtracks"

20. Labirynth - David Bowie and Trevor Jones
For anyone with a childhood there is no reason why this album wouldn't be on this list. Whimsical Fairytale-Pop Romanticism is the theme here. The songs with David Bowie are definitely the standouts, but overall is still a pretty strong package. Track 7 "As The World Falls Down" has got to be one of the best, if not, my favorite Bowie songs of all time. I can never get that bass line out of my head. Put this album in a prepare to have your inner psyche plagued with the catchiness that is "You remind of the babe. WHAT BABE? The babe with the power..."
Standout Tracks: Magic Dance, As The World Falls Down, Underground


19. Dracula (remastered) - Philip Glass and Kronos Quartet
A haunting minimalist backdrop to an amazing cinematic masterpiece re-released with the brilliance of Philip Glass and Kronos Quartet to back it up.
Standout Tracks: Inn, Drawing Room, In The Theatre, Dr. Van Helsing And Dracula


18. Zabriskie Point - Various Artists
I originally got this soundtrack for the Pink Floyd tracks. I was at a point in my life where I felt it necessary to own as many Pink Floyd songs as possible. The tracks on here do not let down either. This is a great score for the original hippie movement.
Standout Tracks: Crumbling Land, Tennessee Waltz, Come In Number 51, Your Time Is Up, Country Song, Love Scene Version 4


17. Thin Blue Line - Philip Glass
Philip Glass doing what he does best, trance induced classical minimalism. The original version of this album has spoken dialogue from the movie over the entire score. So I would recommend the newer edition of this soundtrack if you decide to check it out.
Standout tracks: Adam's Theme, Houston Skyline, The Whole Truth, Harris' Story


16. Assassination Of Jesse James - Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
This was Nick Cave & Warren Ellis' second attempt at creating a bleak and almost too sad of a backdrop for a western. Beautiful piano layered over western tinged violins and reverberated guitars.
Standout tracks: Rather Lovely Thing, Song For Jesse, Another Rather Lovely Thing, Last Ride Back To KC, Song For Bob


15. The Fountain - Clint Mansell w/Kronos Quartet & Mogwai
Clint Mansell returns to the big screen with yet another Darren Aronofsky film score. This time not only does he bring the Kronos Quartet with him, but post-rock monsters Mogwai. This can be a haunting or sad experience depending on your mood. But either way you will walk away with an emotion you didn't start with.
Standout tracks: The Last Man, Tree Of Life, First Snow, Death Is The Road To Awe, Together We Will Live Forever

14. Candyman - Philip Glass
If you like your scores with immense amounts of drama and childlike play this is for you. Candyman starts with what sounds like fairytale play on a xylophone and quickly transforms into haunting vocal harmonies layered and looped over the thickest organs you may ever here. Almost reminiscent of Philip Glass' original masterpiece "Einstein On The Beach", but slightly more polished. Originally Philip Glass backed this entire movie, thinking it was going to be somewhat of a romantic masterpiece. When he found out the studio was turning it into a gory horror movie he removed himself entirely. He was angered and decided not to release the album. The studio already owned the rights and decided to release it with the sequel in one cohesive package.
Standout tracks: Music Box, Suite: Helen's Theme

13. Donnie Darko - Michael Andrews
It may be debatable whether or not Donnie Darko is a sci-fi film or not, but the score sure makes it feel that way. Ambient drones, whispered choirs, and twinkly piano. The cover of Tears For Fears "Mad World" is reason enough to own this soundtrack.

Standout tracks: The Artifact & Living, Manipulated Living, Philosophy Of Time Travel, Gretchen Ross, Burn It To The Ground, Waltz In The 4th Dimension, Mad World

12. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind - Various Artists
This is one of the most romantic films I’ve ever seen. The soundtrack is a near perfect companion to its heart stopping beauty. Gorgeous pop inspired classical themed scores go between every other vocal track. The Beck song “Everybody’s Gotta Learn Sometime” is one of his best. This album just makes me feel all mushy.
Standout tracks: Theme, Bookstore, Everybody’s Gotta Learn Sometimes, Peer Pressure, Phone Call

11. Requiem For A Dream - Clint Mansell w/Kronos Quartet
The movie Requiem For A Dream has the capability to hit you like a ton of bricks. Watch as the world around everyone dissolves and slowly turns for the worse in their drug addled society. The score is a maddening piece of repetitive violence plunged into your ears by means of strings, and mechanical blurbles.
Standout tracks: Summer Overture, Party, Ghosts Of Things To Come, Ghosts, Marion Barfs, Lux Aeterna

10. Lost In Translation - Various Artists
I did not like this movie the first time, I didn’t even like the soundtrack. I must’ve been in a weird mindset. This is a story or a lonely boy and a lonely girl lost in Tokyo. With nothing better to do than live it up in a foreign city. I used to live in Japan, and to me, this seems like a perfect score to that part of my life. Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine shows that he can do more than just distort the hell out of a guitar. Great compilation of some great shoe gaze/dream pop bands. And some that are not, but it all works wonderfully. Track #3 “Fantino” by Sebastien Tellier should be reason enough to buy this album.
Standout tracks: City Girl, Fantino, Girls, Goodbye, On The Subway, Sometimes, Alone In Kyoto, Shibuya, Just Like Honey

9. The Proposition - Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
I’ve longed considered myself a huge fan of Nick Cave. My first album of his was “No More Shall We Part”, which today, is still my favorite. NMSWP is a little more “quiet” than most Cave albums, definitely a lot sadder. The Proposition is like “No More Shall We Part” in that sense, only it’s a score to a western movie set in a desolate outback atmosphere. The screenplay was written by Nick Cave. Also, just like “The Assassination of Jesse James”, this soundtrack is bleak, depressing, and relaxing. Perfect score for a nearly perfect western movie. This is one of the best albums I’ve ever heard, ever.
Standout tracks: The Proposition #1, Down To The Valley, The Rider #1, Gun Thing, Queenie’s Suite, The Proposition #2, Sad Violin Thing, The Rider #3, The Proposition #3


8. Punch Drunk Love - Various Artists
This is one of the most romantic movies of all time. Not just for its story of “love conquering all“, but for its mind altering noises and swishes of color. This movie is an acid trip on love. Jon Brion is a brilliant young composer, who uses classical american approaches when it comes to writing music. Think classical music you would hear in cartoons circa 1940-70. Jon Brion also adds simple elements of pop and experimentalism in there to keep your interest. Chances are if you’ve seen a movie within the past 5-10 years you’ve heard a Jon Brion score. I’m just in love with this soundtrack, it uplifts me and makes me feel “love-y”. I think when an album has that kind of “emotional hold” on you it’s worth mentioning. Give this one a go when you are feeling light-hearted and weird. At least listen to “He Needs Me” by Shelley Duvall (which was originally used for the Popeye soundtrack) once, if you can’t feel it then perhaps you‘re just not a romantic.
Standout tracks: Tabla, Punch-Drunk Melody, Hands & Feet, Le Petit Chateau, He Needs Me, Waikiki, Moana Chimes, Here We Go


7. Lost Highway - Various Artists
A long time ago (the late 90’s) there was this surreal being of genius, beauty, and massacre known as Trent Reznor. He had some pretty big albums, a few note-worthy producing acknowledgements, etc. He also did a couple of soundtracks, Lost Highway, his second, soundtrack, mixes dark moody pop songs, trippy jazz-like elements, eerie industrial landscapes, and some of the best “alternative” artists there were at the moment. David Bowie lends his song “Deranged” from The Outside album (best Bowie album ever.) Smashing Pumpkins release, a then exclusive, now on the best of.., song called “Eye”. Which is one of their best songs ever. “Apple Of Sodom” is also, by far, one of the best Manson songs ever. Still creepy. Coil also had a hand in some of the mixing of the Trent Reznor songs. And of course, one of Nine Inch Nail’s biggest hit’s, “The Perfect Drug“, which to this day is still phenomenal. This album hashes out more memory’s than a yearbook ever could.
Standout tracks: All of them.


6. Pi - Various Artists
When this album came out I was listening to mostly harsh industrial or darker rock songs. I listened to electronic music as well, but not nearly as much as I should’ve. To anyone who hasn’t, but wants to get into electronic music, start with this soundtrack. It compiles some of the best 90’s techno artists and blends them together quite “mathematically”. The dialogue in-between tracks keeps the paranoia effect on full too. This was Darren Aronofsky’s “first” feature film. This was also Clint Mansell’s first effort at composing a soundtrack. Darren and Clint have a very good relationship together, and I hope it stays that way for many years to come. Put this one on and prepare to reminisce over the golden-era of electronic music.
Standout tracks: All of them (but special shout-out to “Bucephalus Bouncing Boy“ and “Angel“).


5. Velvet Goldmine - Various Artists
This was another “high school anthem” soundtrack for me. This is a perfect album for a Friday or Saturday night. Uppity glam-rock done by the best producers in its genre. I honestly didn’t know a lot about glam music when I saw this film, but afterwards I wanted to know everything immediately. Naturally I started with the soundtrack. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve popped this album on for a fun atmosphere. Best alternative/glam/punk/disco/rock album ever compiled. Oh, and Radiohead fans, you may recognize vocals on “The Venus In Furs” songs.. Damn it, now I have to drop everything and go put this on..
Standout tracks: All of them. All of them. ALL of them


4. Natural Born Killers - Various Artists
This soundtrack may be one of the best things to ever happen to me. I was thoroughly obsessed with Nine Inch Nails during the mid to late nineties. I had to have everything, and I did, and this was one of THE BEST things Trent Reznor has ever done. No soundtrack has been played through these ears as much as NBK has. It's a perfect mix of violence, confrontation, and love. If you were a teenager growing up in the 90’s I wouldn’t have to mention anything to you about how great this album is. This album = nostalgia.
Standout tracks: All of them, god(90‘s Trent Reznor), please give me more.. But if I had to be specific; Waiting For The Miracle, Sweet Jane, You Belong To Me (quite possibly the only Bob Dylan Song I like), BURN, Route 666, Back In Baby’s Arms, Taboo, Sex Is Violent, History Repeats Itself, Something I Can Never Have, I Will Take You Home, Drums A Go-Go, Hungry Ants, The Day The Niggaz Took Over, A Warm Place (one of the best NIN songs EVER), What Would U Do?


3. The Virgin Suicides - Air
Attention Pink Floyd fans: The Division Bell Pt. II is out there, under the alias “The Virgin Suicides”. Gorgeous songs constructed through vintage organs, nostalgia-rific synths, sultry horns, plucked acoustic guitars, and soft/subtle samples and vocals. This IS the definition of Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y French music. You can play this music for two main events, 1. A lonely drive down a dark desolate, kind of scary, road, OR 2. Play this music for “sexy time” with a special lady/or dude. “Damn girl.. I need Air.., you need Air.., just give in…XOXO”
Standout tracks: Dumb question.. you’ll only know when you listen.


2. Basquiat - Various Artists
Basquiat is probably my favorite movie of all time. It’s about a struggling “pop” artist on the rise during the 1980’s New York art scene. David Bowie plays Andy Warhol better than Andy Warhol. Everything is so perfect with this movie. Its full of symbolism, awesome art, great acting, and a terrific soundtrack. If Natural Born Killers was my “most listened to” soundtrack of all time“, this might be number 2. Basquiat has a perfect mix of 80’s pop, 90’s pop, 70’s pop, and every other good genre from those eras. If, for some unknown reason, I ever decided to move to New York I imagine this would be best soundtrack for that trip.
Standout tracks: Public Image, It’s All Over Now Baby Blue, Suicide Hotline, I’m Not In Love, Is That All There Is?, White Lines, Rise, These Days, She Is Dancing (god I LOVE this song), Tom Traubert’s Blues (Four Sheets To The Wind In Copenhagen), Small Plot Of Land, A Summer In Siam, The Last Song I’ll Ever Sing, Hallelujah, ..OH WAIT, ALL OF THEM:)


1. The Hours - Philip Glass
If I die, and I haven’t compiled a “Songs To Play At My Funeral” list, go ahead and play “The Hours” by Philip Glass. Beautiful. His best work ever. The BEST classical songs I will EVER hear. Stunning. Minimalism is the key to brilliance here. This album holds a high emotional value for me. Flippin' brilliant.
Standout tracks: All of them, all of the time, every day, forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment