Thursday, February 5, 2009

REVIEW: His Name Is Alive - Mouth By Mouth

8.5 out of 10


When I have a headache, I take an aspirin. When I'm tired I drink coffee. When I'm having a bad day I listen to "Mouth By Mouth" by His Name Is Alive. This band knows where I live. His Name Is Alive have been around for twenty years now, and have a huge body of work; most of which is on the phenomenal label 4AD. This is my favorite, and it's one those albums I bought on a whim and knocked me out on the first listen. Every time I listen to it, I just think "this came so close to never happening"..

"Mouth By Mouth" is a great dream pop album. HNIA have always had this cut and copy approach to production that is always a little surprising. I guess Warner Bros. handled the distribution for this record, and for the US release refused to allow most of the samples on the record. They failed to notice, however, "Can't Go Wrong Without You" is made up entirely of said samples.

Their sound can be likened to label mates, and major influence, This Mortal Coil (Their first two albums were produced and mixed by Ivo Watts-Russel). His Name Is Alive is often noisy/poppy and make full use of their studio. At it's heart its a great guitar album, driven by Karin Oliver's ethereal vocals. The Tracks bleed and mix flawlessly from one another, and you hardly notice the change from song to song. They make great use of muted strings and buzzed orchestration. I swear I hear a new instrument everytime I listen to it.

I can't tell you that you'll love it, cause I know a lot of people who don't. But I will say if you come across it grab it. If it doesn't suit your fancy, I'll buy it from you.

Standout Tracks: The Torso, Can't Go Wrong Without You, Lemon Ocean, The Dirt Eaters

No comments:

Post a Comment