Saturday, February 28, 2009

REVIEW: The Angels Of Light - How I Loved You

10 out of 10

Michael Gira is the lead singer of Angels Of Light/Swans & Founder of Young God Records. He has one of those "distinct" vocals that undeniably makes him "Michael Gira". You know, the same quality that Tom Waits and Nick Cave possess? Michael Gira is also, in my opinion, goth in it's truest form. I've only been following Michael Gira's career for about 5 years now, which isn't that much at all. About a two weeks ago or so I received an email, that I get regularly recommending various artists, "How I Loved You" was recommended, I thought I'd give it a go, I already owned "Everything Is Good Here / Please Come Home" by Angels Of Light, and a few different Swans albums, all of which are terrifically dark, twisted, and bitter, but most importantly genius.

If you look at Amazon's rating for "How I Loved You" you will see it gets a 4 star review, which is damn impressive, but when compared to the rest of his albums that are reviewed you'll see it that it is the lowest ranked. I'm not sure what's up with this amalgam. But, out of all the Michael Gira related albums I've heard, this is by far my favorite. "How I Loved You" is dark/brooding/ & romantic sometimes "bitter" goth rock ballads, dreamy/relaxing/psychedelic, multi-layered vocal harmonies, slide guitars, upright bass, violins, sometimes jazzy drum lines, accordion, eerie organ work, well planned piano notes, and of course Michael Gira's trademark vocals.

I've listened to this album on average two times a day for about two weeks now, and I'm still not sick of it, this would be on my "Top 100 Albums Of All Time" list if I ever made one. "How I Loved You"(which may have been a "chance purchase") by The Angels Of Light, is the official "I now know I have to own every piece of art/music this man has laid his hands on" album.

Standout Tracks: ALL. But mainly.. Evangeline, My True Body, Song For Nico, NEW YORK CITY IN THE FUTURE, New York Girls

No comments:

Post a Comment