Sunday, February 8, 2009

REVIEW: Ben Benjamin - The Many Moods Of Ben Benjamin Vol. 1.5

7 out of 10

To those of you who don't know me I've long considered myself an "obsessive" Ghostly Records fan. I love nearly everything the label puts out. When I first started getting into the label I started at the beginning of their catalogue. One of those earlier releases was "Specifics" by Midwest Product. If you haven't heard Midwest Product you must. I believe almost anyone could get into them. An "almost" Weezer meets Kraftwerk kind of dealy...

Ben Benjamin is one of the founding members of Midwest Product. He is somewhat of a genius when it comes to writing incredibly simple, but catchy songs with his mix of indie pop, surf rock, electronic, and kraut-rock like sensibility.

This is the second solo release from Ben Benjamin, first one being "The Many Moods Of .. Vol. 1", and I think it's tighter, and more "put together". It may only be an ep, but ep's are what people release because they had about 4-7 "extra(terrific)" tracks that were left over from previous albums.

This may be one of the best Ghostly releases in the past few years. Mix upbeat "happy" electronics, "surf-rock guitar anthems", great poppy vocals, hip-hop/pop drum beats, and "bouncy" bass lines. Good stuff..can't wait for Vol. 2..?

Standout Tracks: All 5 tracks bring their own unique flare to this ep, so ALL OF THEM.

No comments:

Post a Comment