Wednesday, February 4, 2009

REVIEW: Nico - Camera Obscura

7.75 out of 10

This was Nico's last official release. Which was produced by John Cale and came out only two years before here untimely death. Back in 1985, when "Camera Obscura" was released, I could imagine this fitting in quite nicely with the "No Wave" scene from New York's past. Actually this almost sounds like Tuxedomoon with a different vocalist, maybe a little more "worldsy" and psychedelic. Ooh, I know, Tuxedomoon + Dead Can Dance = Nico. The last track reminds me of Philip Glass organ work. She's worked with Serge Gainsbourg. She's dated Jim Morrison, Bob Dylan, Tim Buckley, Iggy Pop, etc. And I could easily see why Andy Warhol was so in love with this German beauty. Her vocals are untouchable. The music is some of the best "trance-induced psych-synth-jazz" you'll ever hear. Nico is art.

Nico may be an acquired style of music. And her vocals may "not be" for everyone. But I urge all to listen to at least one Nico album before you die to "understand" high art better. I recommend checking out "Desert Shore", "The End", and/or "Marble Index", if you haven't done so already.

If you like earlier 4AD style music and darker themed atmospheres with a jazz edge this was made for you. I've said all I can say about Nico for now. Right now I'm so head over heels infatuated with Nico that I'm at a loss of words. Simply put this is poetry WITH motion.

Standout Tracks: Win A Few, My Funny Valentine, Das Lied Von Einsanen Madchens, My Heart Is Empty, Into The Arena, Konig

No comments:

Post a Comment