Monday, January 7, 2013

EIC's 10Q's w/ Grischa Lichtenberger

"..disects-destroys..the most complex factory-assembled sounding Industrial-Ambient beat-patterns that I've ever heard.."


Grischa Lichtenberger
[ǝƃɐɯı˙ǝʌoqɐ˙ǝǝs]

Grischa Lichtenberger Bio:
Grischa Lichtenberger was born in Bielefeld 1983. In 2009 he released his debut EP ~treibgut ununbium on german label Raster-Noton. ~treibgut - a system of references to the river Rhein - operated as a motto for varied expressions: installations, videos, music, painting and drawings. Beginning in 2006, while moving to Düsseldorf, Lichtenberger decided to rethink the artistic process from scratch - it's ethical legitimization and it's epistemological backgrounds - all in regard to the concreteness of the biographical situation in its landscape and history.  Since 2008 Grischa Lichtenberger lives in Berlin. With the new "supertitle" andyrchie iv he tries to proceed the idea or revaluating the reference to landscape as "the place we live in".   Lichtenberger’s focus is not only the musical expression, but the process of creating art in general. Always regarding the complexity and difficulties of communication and material referenciality, he seeks to overcome the dominance of functional interpretations, while maintaining an open access to technology and production. The archive of samples and fragments of overcome and discarded technological artefacts and everyday livestock is enabled by an ethical figure, wherein art is to address and regard the other, without economizing or confining them.


Hello, how are you?
I'm fine, thank you.

What are you currently listening to? 
Right now I'm listening to Talk Talk's 'Spirit Of Eden'. I had it for years as a tape recording until recently a friend gave it to me on vinyl.

Whom or what are your biggest influences when it comes to sculpting your sound?
I think concerning the sculpturing process of sound my biggest influence is my brother, I have to say. Because it was from him that I've learned how the most standard effects and processing machines work.

Care to tell us a little bit about your latest release 'And IV (Inertia)', theme, likes/dislikes, etc.?
Well, I worked on it for about 2 years and it concerns an indirect reflection of the new circumstances I was in, when I moved to Berlin. It consists of 21 tracks I kind of like. Sorry, I don't know what to say really. There are so many things I could tell, but on the other hand I don't want to put anyone's nose on it. It's just up to the listener how much he wants to connect I guess.

Any plans to tour the US for said release?
I would love to go - but it depends on the finances and the interest.

Got any other projects we should know about?
I'm still working on the idea, that I'm running one project which is my live or my work in a way. Right now I have finished a small film about a chimney sweeper-tool and I'm preparing my art-history exam on the late Braque, thinking about Benjamin's idea of history and an idea for a theory of un-economic work, try to get hold of my archive of unfinished drawings and paintings of this year, some remixes, some experiments with tools... nothing and anything particularly interesting. If you might like to explore you are very much invited to check out my homepage.

Speaking of other projects, in a dream world if you could choose any artist (dead or alive) to record an album with whom would it be?
Whoa, difficult question. Maybe - I try to not spoil the joke of the question to much - but I'd love to work with Shostakovich. I think in some weird sense he might have something to add to computer made music. I recently discoverd a piano version of "Preludium and Fugue 4" played by Richter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KStjdclOpzI) the recording is crappy and I don't really mind the fugue but the prelude... There is this most delicate sense of reduction and decision I'm really hypnotized by at the moment. I would love to be able just to see him working for some hours (through a keyhole, without concerning him) or to record secretly some improvisation he might do on a new theme he is developing.

What movie would work best on mute while listening to you music?
I often work along with muted movies or documentaries, just as a distraction or a comforting thing. Mostly I prefer "not-so storybound" films for that purpose: landscapes, history/documentaries, city-scapes, character studies maybe. But it could work somehow with any movie in that sense - the music somehow just switches the meaning of the pictures. It could even work well running a fictive channel of muted advertising. But maybe the best movie would be on, if you put the music in your headphones or your car and move through old almost forgotten parts of your hometown or where ever you grew up.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Another "pick your favorite.." question. I'm not very good with that. Hmm... so I think the most un-disturbing thing would be some recordings of my own, so the time slope wouldn't matter to much.

Are you living your dream?
No, I keep waking up. I'm still working on it. Honestly, I've been motivated by dreams very much and still take them kind of seriously, but I never considered dreams as kind of a better world idea or wishes of a better me - I see them more like an alteration of reality  and by this I mean it wouldn't really matter to just change the sides and live the dream, while dreaming your live.

Thanx Jens & Grischa!

Grischa Lichtenberger is currently laying low as well as playing a few rare live sets here and there, one day he will hopefully make it across the pond...

No comments:

Post a Comment