Monday, April 30, 2012

EIC's 10Q's w/ Christina Vantzou

"..minimal/basic beauty.."

(Photo Credit: Julie Calbert)

Christina Vantzou
Quiescent Grace

Christina Vantzou Bio:
Christina Vantzou is an artist, musician, and composer. Born in Kansas City, she attended the Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore (1997-2001) and moved to Brussels in 2003 where she currently resides. Over the past decade Christina has made drawings, prints, animations, videos, and video installations. In recent years sound has become a key aspect of her artistic identity. In 2003, Christina met Stars of the Lid's Adam Wiltzie and together they formed The Dead Texan (Kranky). After several years of touring with The Dead Texan becoming a touring member of Sparklehorse (summer 2007) Christina started making music of her own. Over a three-year period, using synthesizers, samples, her own voice, and working by ear, with Reason, and a homemade library of orchestral samples, Christina meticulously pieced together a 45-minute music composition. In 2010 she began working with Minna Choi (director of Magik*Magik orchestra), who translated the digital score to sheet music for a seven-piece ensemble. This collaboration culminated in recording sessions with Magik*Magik at Tiny Telephone in San Francisco. The album was mixed and mastered in Brussels and was released on Kranky on October 24, 2011. Titled Nº1, it is the first installment of a planned series of recordings by Christina with an orchestra component. As a whole, Nº1 includes the release of a CD, a film, and a selection of remixes by various artists.


Hello, how are you?
I'm very fine thank you.

What are you currently listening to?
In the last 24 hours I've listened to Debussy, Fuck Buttons, Laurie Spiegel and Danzig.

Why the length of time between The Dead Texan and now, what prompted your "return"?
I didn't really seem like a timeout to me....I've been working steadily, nose to the grindstone, it just wasn't publicly visible until the release of Nº1.

Speaking of The Dead Texan.. I gotta ask, will that project ever see the light of day again?
Dream on Dead Texan fans....

I love the remix companion you just put out, how did you go about choosing the artists to contribute?
I first asked White Rainbow to do a remix because I'm a fan of his music and we had recently met and i intuitively thought it would be an interesting experiment. When he said he would do it I pondered who else might be into it. I started emailing friends and acquaintances with remix requests....sometimes I got a yes and sometimes a no. I just kept writing people until I had 10 who were in.

Is there another solo LP in the makes?
Yes!!! Nº2 is in the works.

Who is your favorite Kranky artist of all time?
There are many, too many over the years to pick a favorite. I've clocked in hours and hours of Low, Godspeed.., Labradford, Pan American, Loscil, Atlas Sound, White Rainbow, Stars Of The Lid...Ken Camden is a newly discovered favorite.

Got any other projects we should know about?
Well....I'm working on an album made of synth samples only. I've spoken about making a dance record but I keep churning out the slow jams. Can't help it.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Big Boi's 'Sir Luscious Left Foot The Son of Chico Dusty'. And I'd sneak in the B side of Laurie Spiegel's 'The Expanding Universe' for contrast.

Are you living your dream?
My dream changes every minute.

Thanx Christina!

Christina V. is currently on tour in Europe, make sure to check out a live show if you're in the area..

No comments:

Post a Comment