Wednesday, April 6, 2011

REVIEW: Natural Snow Buildings - Waves Of The Random Sea

8.75 out of 10

Here's further proof that the French do it best. I wasn't completely on the ball with this band (I feel ashamed), in-fact I didn't even hear of Natural Snow Buildings until recently (thanks for sharing Scott;). I figured any sound one of my favorite musicians obsesses over/listens to is worth a go in my book. I started with "The Centauri Agent" (the band's previous release) which by all means was a terrific Drone album filled with heavenly delights. I wasn't quite blown away though (I probably need to revisit it), until this year. "Waves Of The Random Sea", the band's first physical release, is amazing. Your ears will thank you after wards as well as maybe/possibly give your brain the warmest hug they can offer. If you need to relax and/or wash away into comfy bliss "Waves Of The Random Sea" will make for a perfect soundtrack.

Natural Snow Buildings are 60% Drone, 30% Psych, and 10% Folk (also 100% French:). Their music is very slow moving. It builds and builds and builds until it peaks and then comes back down to a lull again. "Abstract-Soothing" is the probably best adjective here. Think Lovesliescrushing, only less "aquatic", more "organic" and suitable for a fireside hangout. There are only six tracks on this album, it is not an EP though, it's nearly an hour and a half long. Do the math, that's about 10-15 minute long tracks. Another words you won't be left hanging. Every track plays/drags & evolves as long as it should. Wow, all of the sudden I really want to go camping, maybe bring some mind altering substances, maybe a book with scary short stories, maybe I really should do this.. I've got the music, now all I need is the perfect desolate forest location. ::ahem:: Any-who.. Expect all the best sounds from this "naturally organic" treat; tribal drumming (rarely heard), white noises, found sounds, long/sustained gloomy synths, guitars, guitar pedals, voice tones, and that psychedelic experience you only feel when on the best kind of drug possible; amazing music.

Rich layers of emotional drone and estranged samples that keep your interest can be hard to find. With Natural Snow Buildings you will get that plus more. I am left feeling slightly warmer & sleepy after listening to this. Recommendedx2 (one of my favs of 2011). I'm gonna go nap now.

Standout Tracks: It's drone, so it's hard to have one track without the rest. I really love the finger plucking/vocals (about 5 minutes in) on "Through Breaches In The Layer Of Fog", This Ice Fortress (about 10 1/2 minutes in these heart-dropping vocals come in, they will melt you--repeat this part over and over), Abduction Dream (short but sweet), Drift The Water Soul (this totally reminds me of Cyann & Ben towards the beginning)

No comments:

Post a Comment