Monday, April 4, 2011

EIC'S10Q'S w/Caroline

"..beautiful "abstract-ish" Electronic compositions..gentle/"toy-like sounding" melodies, playful clicks and kicks, melancholy piano tones, and "more than seductive"/persuasive & innocent sounding vocals.."


Caroline
Impeccant Pulchritudinous Pop

Caroline Bio:
Originally from Okinawa, Japan, Caroline Lufkin moved around a lot by the time she had graduated from Berklee School of Music in Boston in 2003, ultimately settling nowhere (though currently calling Los Angeles her home). With an incredible gift for writing gripping songs from the most minimal elements - not to mention a voice that could make angels weep - Caroline's music seizes the rare opportunity to hypnotize everything and everyone around it. And really, who in this world doesn't want to succumb to a music-induced weightlessness every once in a while?



Hello, how are you?
Wonderful! It snowed for the first time here in Japan and I just got done making a bunny snowman.

What are you currently listening to?
I feel I've been listening to the same music for years. Blonde Redhead, Mew, Eluvium, Four Tet, Caribou, etc. I've been kind of getting into a college pal's (St. Vincent's) newer record, "Actor".

LOVE the new album, glad to see you came back. Where have you been/what have you been up to lately?
I've been trooping around the world with Mice Parade and finishing masters program. Now I'm playing some local shows here in Tokyo.

Where does the title "Verdugo Hills" come from?
The title is the name of the hills I use to live down the street from in Cali. The Verdugo Hills made me happy in this period of time.

What's your favorite track off of the album?
The last time I listened to my album, which was months ago, "Seesaw" was my favorite. I think I like "Balloon" now. To be honest, it's always hard to listen to my own tunes for the first year after it's completion.

Will you be touring the US for said release?
I'm trying to make that happen now!

What's your least favorite thing about the music industry?
I think the industry makes us lose perspective of music. Music is for expression, venting, release, etc., not a product that needs to be judged, or crafted using a formula. A person's music is for someone who resonates with it and all others can just turn their heads towards something they like.

If you could collaborate with any artist of your choosing whom would it be with?
My dream is to collaborate with my friend, Miwa Matreyek. It's hard to describe what she does. She projects animation on objects, cardboard boxes, screens, etc. giving the it depth, and interacts/performs with it. I'd love to create a performance using her visuals and my music. Another lady I'd love to work with is Julia Potts, a illustrator/animator. Oh man, her characters are dreamy!!!

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Whoooaaa. I would probably end up hating that album after the first few years. I guess it would have to be something light and chipper with a little something to keep me happy and healthy. Maybe Beatles "Abbey Road"?

Are you living your dream?
My family is healthy. I have time to do what I love. I am living my dream! Though, I do have some goals I would like to fulfill! But, who doesn't?!

Thanx Caroline(s)!

Caroline is currently working on a US tour. I asked her if the recent devastating events in Japan harmed her in anyway, luckily her and her family got away without being harmed, just a little shaken up. I bet it would brighten her day if you bought THIS ALBUM;)...

No comments:

Post a Comment