Sunday, January 18, 2009

REVIEW: Onra - Chinoiseries

8 out of 10

Had I listened to Chinoiseries in time it would have made my top albums of 2008 list. Think DJ Shadow meets RJD2 meets Dabrye meets Monkey (Gorillas side-project).

"I started this project in August 2006, when I got back from a trip to Vietnam, the land of my grandparents. As a vinyl junky, I really couldn't come back to France without bringing back some wax. After hours spent riding on a motorbike in Saigon streets, a taxi finally helped me find some old Asian records. I was feeling like an explorer discovering a forgotten treasure. I bought almost 30 vinyl's, most of them in poor condition, went back to the crib, and started making beats with some material that I wasn't used to.."
Amaud Bernard (Onra)

That being said this album is one the best DJ sampled hip-hop albums I've heard since DJ Shadow's first opus "Endtroducing". Chinoiseries is great Soul music infused with obscure dusty/vintage Vietnamese records. Each song flows and crashes into the next. The songs are no longer than two minutes, but that's ok because there's 32 of them! This is the old-school. This is what you, the DJ in you, has been looking for. This is Onra (who is French) mastering the ancient art form that is TRUE hip-hop sampling.

Pop in Mortal Kombat, light it up, sit back, and get ready for Onra. This is the sunny side of California rolled up in a 1960's Kung-Fu sushi roll.

Standout Tracks: The Anthem, Relax In Mui Ne, I Wanna Go Back, Lesson With The Master, Phuoc Dat(Interlude), Take A Ride, One Day, They Got Breaks Too, Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment