Thursday, January 22, 2009

REVIEW: Bon Iver - Blood Bank

8.25 out of 10

Last spring Bon Iver offered us an icy-folkloric quilt to sooth and relax our souls. This winter he offers us a new patch, or addition to said quilt. Only this time with a promise of warmth. "Blood Bank" is only Bon Iver's second release, and although it is a short ep, it still packs the same punch that "For Emma.." did, maybe more? The future for this artist can go one of two ways; either he will continue to explore "newer" territories as he has done with this latest ep, OR, he will become a mediocre indie-folk act in-vein of The Shins. My money is on the first half.


More than just a "folk" album, this is an atmospheric mood enhancer. Track 1 and 2, "Blood Bank/Beach Baby", would fit rather nicely on "For Emma..". Track 3, "Baby's", has an astonishing piano swell that just seems to get thicker and thicker as the song progresses. Track 4, "Woods"', oh my god, track 4.."Woods". Thank you Bon Iver for investing in an Auto-tuner, though I've never been a fan of Eiffel 65, Cher, Lil Wayne, etc. you have shown me the light. No instruments on this track, just layers, get ready.

I got this album today, I've already listened to it at least 4 times. I love it so much I pretty much only listened to Bon Iver today. I had to go back to "For Emma.." after listening to this. Give Bon Iver a go, listen to them for free online somewhere, then, assuming you like it, go out and buy both of the releases. You will not regret it. Very soothing.


Standout Tracks: They're all good, but the last track "Woods", is honestly one of the best acapella tracks I've ever heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment