Saturday, January 10, 2009

REVIEW: Echo And The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain

7.25 out of 10

I discovered Echo and the Bunnymen the same way alot of people under twenty five discovered them: "Killing Moon" playing at the beginning of Donnie Darko. After downloading it to my computer, I played that song a million times. I got sick of it of course but not until after buying their album. Echo has alot of great albums; it's hard to pick a favorite. This was my first one however, and it happens to be particularly awesome. During their prime, Echo represented alot of things. The return of psychedelia, great night-time make out music, a backlash against the "synthesizer takeover", essentially a guitar-based band that wasn't U2.

With All the "jangly" guitar and lush orchestration, "Ocean Rain" almost comes off like a Psychedelic musical. It's not a concept album, but if it was, it would be one of the most successful ones. If there is one word I could use to describe their music it'd be "theatrical". You can really sit back and imagine the whole thing play out. Damn to think they produced it themselves. To bad it's only a half an hour long, it really could be longer. Ian McCulloch isn't really a dynamic singer, but he definitely fits the music well. The more I listen to it, the more I'm glad I found these guys in my youth.

Bottom Line: "Dark-er" Scott Walker meets Post-Punk-Psychedelic 80's love. They certainly bring a lot to the table. Classic album.

Standout Tracks: Killing Moon, Ocean Rain, Crystal Days, Silver, My Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment