Monday, January 12, 2009

REVIEW: Banjo Or Freakout - Mr No/Someone Great

6.75 out of 10

Let's face it Animal Collective are great. Possibly one of the greatest/most unique acts out there today, maybe ever? I am most-definitely a huge fan too. Ever since "Sung Tongs" came out I couldn't get enough. Whenever I hear of an artist paying homage or even trying to rip off Animal Collective's sound my ears perk up like a dog learning he is about to go on a car ride. That being said Banjo Or Freakout is the closest thing I've heard to them. Maybe more Panda Bear than anything, but still in that vein.

This is Banjo Or Freakout's first album, and it's only a 7" single, but I felt it was important to spread the word on what's sure to be one of the more promising acts of 2009. The first track "Mr No" starts off with strumming, a mechanized drum loop, and the Panda Bear style vocals I keep mentioning. Seriously, I really can't stress how much this guy sounds like Panda Bear. Saturated synths, reverberated vocals, and nearly all the "freaky" sounds you'd expect on a standard Animal Collective release. I would believe someone if they told me this was a B-side to the up and coming "Merriweather Post Pavillion". Track 2 "Someone Great" is an LCD Soundsystem cover from the Sound Of Silver record. This can be a tricky thing, covering an already great song, but the man pulls it off with style. It's more of a folk-tinged/acid-y version, kind of reminiscent of Benoit Pioulard, but an interesting take none-the-less.

Overall I'm pretty excited to follow this bright young star to his sure-to-be promising future. And I would definitely recommend this release to anyone interested in the indie/electronic genre. And once again, if you like Animal Collective, you can just go buy this now. Hurry up and release a full length please!

Standout Tracks: Well, there's only 2 of them, so both:)

No comments:

Post a Comment