Monday, July 18, 2011

EIC's 10Q's w/Gardens & Villa

"..a perfect punch of "Sunny Side Pop" with a side of cutesy/retro sounding Electro homages.."


Gardens & Villa
Electro Drift Pop

Gardens & Villa Bio:
Gardens & Villa channel all the taut pop precisions of 90s Britpop of bands like Blur (borrowed from the 60s anyhow), and send it through an 80s synth filter both undeniably coastal and modern. It's Spoon's Kill The Moonlight lost in a daydream, but with that same hungry energy. Gardens & Villa may simultaneously pull from Gary Numan, The Kinks and odder prog within one composition. And like a fine sweet tea, it's made just that right kind of sugary -- though even the most upbeat tunes have an undercurrent of the bittersweet and the lost at heart.

In 2010, Gardens & Villa traveled to Oregon to record their debut with visionary, vibemaster and labelmate Richard Swift. Together, they put some sand in the sheets of new wave ("Black Hills") and pop some translucent funk ("Orange Blossom"). There's also a level of effortless class maintained across the whole set. Each and every lush little gem explores the wonderful mystery between intuition and proficiency, between tension and repose.

Gardens & Villa are Chris Lynch, Adam Rasmussen, Levi Hayden, Shane McKillop and Dusty Ineman.


Hello, how are you?

I am well.. Scrambling to get ready for the next string of tours.. Back home in Santa Barbara, CA.. hanging with friends and trying to sleep a lot, while soaking up as much sun and positive vibes as I can. Also, working a bit to try and save up some pocket money.. We are leaving in less than two weeks.. we get back in mid August.. And it feels like we just got back.. Over all I feel strong and focused.. But my life has never been more chaotic.

What are you currently listening to?
I have been listening to a lot of stuff.. I recently was turned on to "Tinariwen".. Droney/desserty North African music that is really fun to bike to. I just got "Junip" the Jose Gonzalez side project.. Super fresh. ehh during the summer time I love listening to 70s/80s reggae.. "Black Uhuru" and lots of Lee Scratch Perry.. Also I've been digging on Curtis Mayfield and some more soulful summertime stuff from the 70s.. And I won't forget a bunch of bands that we played with on our last tour that I have really come to like.. "Candy Claws", "Hosannas", "Youth Lagoon.." Are my favs..

Is there a story behind the band name?

The name comes from our old house that 3 of us lived in for 5 years.. It was on Villa street, on the west side of Santa Barbara.. There was a certain point years ago where we decided to take our art and our lives more seriously.. We built a recording studio and tore our entire yard apart.. Build a gorgeous garden full of all kinds of veggies.. And it kind of changed our lives.. Three other houses on villa street started to tear their yards apart and pretty soon we had a little food exchange thingy going on with a lot of sharing and good times. The music was born during this experience and we decided to name the band after it.. Hence "gardens and villa." Its pretty literal I guess.

Out of the many projects out there was there one (maybe a few) in particular that influenced you guys the most?
To be honest.. There are too many to count.. So many older bands that we love and feel influenced by.. Everything from Prince and Tom Tom Club to Biggie and 2pac. But over all I think our sound has been influenced by the vision (and record collection) of Richard Swift, who is our dear friend and who produced our record.

How long have you been playing the flute?
I have been playing the flute for around 5 years. Love it.. I started on Native American flutes and then moved to Classical Indian flutes.. It may sound super hippy-dippy but I love to go up in the mountains of SB and play near the waterfalls. Its really funny how confused birds get when they hear a wooden flute melody and try to mimic it back..

I LOVE the song 'Orange Blossom' care to tell us the story behind it?

haha.. There is a story behind it but I think it is a special story between me and a certain woman.. It has to do with blooming orange trees and a winter heat wave.. I think you can hear most of it in the song. hehe

Is there a theme behind your debut full length?

The themes are very strong but subtle. We didn't go into it with any concrete themes but we realized later that our collective subconscious had brought all of these feelings into the music.. I guess some of major themes are 'childhood in the late 80s and early 90s..' Lost jobs and idleness.. Stoney nights and melancholy day dreams. A lot of earth and space too. Haha.. pretty broad I guess.

What movie would work best on mute while listening to your music?
"The Dark Chrystal".. or "The Last Starfighter.." or maybe E.T.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
WOW.. ehh.. Maybe.. This might sound cliche but I seriously never get sick of "Kind of Blue," Miles Savis.. Maybe a collection of Chopin's Nocturnes.. They always get me more than anything else..

Are you living your dream?

YEAS!!! Hellz yea.. I am tired as hell and sometimes I feel like I want to move away somewhere for a long time.. But I am most def. living my dream.. There is nothing I would rather do than make music all the time.. It is when I feel most comfortable and natural.

Thanx Christopher!

Gardens & Villa are currently touring the US, be sure to check out their live show if you can...

No comments:

Post a Comment