Monday, February 14, 2011

REVIEW: Smith Westerns - Dye It Blonde

7 out of 10

It really isn't all that often these days that I find myself diggn' the vibes of a straight-forward "Rock" album. I don't dislike the genre by any means, my forte has just been a little more focused on the "slow & mechanistic" these days. Probably seasonal effects. Anyways, every once and a while a rare album comes out and completely restores my faith in a particular sound. The Smith Westerns second album surpasses all expectations as well as puts me in the mood for some properly made Glam Rock/Pop. I knew it would sound pristine and polished I just had no idea how much my ears needed something like this.

Think T-Rex with a closer shift towards romanticism as seen through the eyes of Creation Records. Smith Westerns keep it simple with fuzzy guitar sounds, pitch-perfect bass lines, the occasional keyboard, clean/"untouched by machine" drums and terrific vocal melodies, nothing else. I don't do "rock" records very much so know that when I do bring one up there's something about it that makes it work. Just give it a shot next time you feel like rockin' out.

This is pretty good, these guys are on to something, something that will hopefully catch on..

Standout Tracks: Smile, End Of The Knight, All Die Young (GORGEOUS use of the slide bar--love this track), Imagine Pt. 3, Weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment