Monday, February 28, 2011

EIC'S10Q'S w/Julianna Barwick

"..very fluid, extremely pretty, pitch-perfect/harmonious, ..and perhaps most importantly, it's wonderful to fall asleep to.."


Julianna Barwick
Seraphic Felicity

Julianna Barwick Bio:
Louisiana-bred, Brooklyn-based recording artist Julianna Barwick crafts ethereal, largely wordless soundscapes, all of which are built around multiple loops and layers of her angelic voice. Barwick, who credits a rural, church choir upbringing for her unique sound, begins most tracks with a single phrase or refrain, then uses a loop station and the occasional piano or percussive instrument to build the song into a swirling mass of lush, Ambient Folk. She released her first two collections of songs, the full-length "Sanguine" and the EP "Florine", in 2007 and 2009, respectively, before issuing her Asthmatic Kitty debut, Magic Place, in 2011.



Hello, how are you?
I'm great! I'm on a Bolt Bus to DC. Need more coffee.

What are you currently listening to?
M I A just came on the ol' iPhone shuffle. "The Turn".

What prompted you to begin writing the music you create?
A great friend of mine let me borrow his guitar pedal, it had a loop feature on it, and I kind of got addicted to it. I made "Sanguine" with that pedal. And on from there.

What is your favorite song you have written so far?

Hmmm. I can't pick a favorite. I really like "Bob In Your Gait" from the new record. It's a bit different in sound, it reminds me of being a kid wrapped in a blanket looking out the window and singing, til I made myself cry. Does anyone else do this or did it as a kid? it seems weird to me now to think about it but I have always done this.

What is an instrument you can't live without and why?
I'd have to say the RC-50 loop station. I use it to perform and record. I'm so used to it it's almost like playing the piano and I don't have to look down at my fingers every second.

I'd like to hear a project between you and Grouper, what are the chances of that happening?
Liz and I know each other. I would love to do that someday. She's one of my absolute favorite musicians. I think we're both pretty independent/ solo-y but I would definitely love to do a track or something together.

Got any funny/weird touring stories?
Last year had it's highway mishaps for sure. When I was on tour in April with Roberto Lange I was driving and the thing went down to one lane and I tried to move over into the other lane but this crazy semi truck driver sped up and I started knocking the cones over and I thought we were going to die. Later, the driver saw us in his rear view mirror and slowed waaaay down and was flipping us off and we thought he was going to kill us. We moved quickly by him and everything was ok.
In May I was with my friend Charles, who was playing in Eluvium, and we were driving from Detroit to Chicago and got rear-ended. I felt like I was right on the cusp of blacking out. I didn't feel like my brain was making much sense, my head hit the headrest. Charles's arm got pretty wrecked. but the car was totally ok. We drove the rest of the way to Chicago and when we got there we had lots of beer.

Whats your least favorite thing about music?
Imitation

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?

Oh my lawd. Um. I used to say this one record but I don't think that's the one anymore. It might be kind of cheating, because it's really long, but Joanna's "Have One On Me". I probably listened to that for half of 2010. Always hear new stuff in the songs. So inspiring.

Are you living your dream?
Yes. after I went to Lisbon and London late 2007 I thought, this is the best thing in the world, playing my stuff, seeing new places, eating delicious food in said new places, and making new friends.. I don't see anything wrong with that at all!

Thanx Julianna!

Julianna recently released her newest album "The Magic Place", make sure to get that NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment