Wednesday, December 22, 2010

REVIEW: Married In Berdichev - Readying

8.75 out of 10

Every year this happens. I finalize my year-end list and fail to mention an artist or two because I discovered them too late. Back in July EIC posted a freebie by up and coming artist Married In Berdichev. However, sometimes with the overload of music I seem to always have on my plate (not that I'm complaining) somethings unfortunately go unnoticed. Well, it turns out I put that song on a random comp I made for my wife's car. While driving with her a couple weeks ago that song came up.. I then (re)listened to it back to back to back.. How could I forget to check this band out?? Well I finally did, and I here I am now 101% addicted to Married In Berdichev's "Readying" AKA 2010's "The One That Got Away."

Most songs on this EP rely on only a couple forms of sound; 1. Voice, this voice, it was made for these ears. It definitely reminds me of Alison Shaw (The Cranes). 2. Found sounds with minimal/droney synths that sound saturated and exotic. "Readying" is very minimal by nature, but from it's nature comes this surrounding feeling of ambrosial bliss engulfing your every sense. Every song on this little masterpiece is perfect for a slow, maybe depressing winter's day. We all need albums like that. Had I "caught" this album in time, it probably would have cracked the top 20 (at least). I'm keeping my ear's on you Berdichev..

A mix between Julianna Barwick, Grouper, & Alison Shaw. You need this album. HIGHLY HIGHLY REMMONDED-ENDED-DED-D-D! Essential.

Standout Tracks: All (no really All of them)

No comments:

Post a Comment