Monday, December 6, 2010

EIC'S10Q'S w/Japanese Gum

"..begins with a melancholy hum, followed shortly by a sadder guitar tone, then followed by a "somewhat glitchy"/Industrial-esque drum beat sound and lugubrious vocals (which almost sound shy underneath a blanket of reverb and distorted guitar sounds/walls of other noises). There isn't really a "general tone though. It goes from down beat to up to almost somewhat weird (the "good kind" of weird).."


Japanese Gum
Lachrymosent Thermionic Pop

Japanese Gum Bio:
Japanese Gum is an experimental Italian duo originally from Genova born in the spring of 2005.

The band consists now of Davide Cedolin and Paolo Tortora. During first two years of activity, there was a third member, Luigi Bozzo, who now is only a collaborator.

JG music is characterized by wall of delayed guitars, soft vocals, electronic glitch beats and synth pads, but it's not right to define their sound into a specific genre: They're always looking for new developments and different sound solutions.



Hello, how are you?
Davide: Hi, I guess I'm fine, thanx.
Paolo: I'd say busy.

What are you currently listening to?
Davide: I really listen to lots of different tunes, as usual... I've just checked my lastfm account and during the last weeks the scrobbler says Beach Fossils, Picastro, Doseone (and other Anticon stuff), "The Suburbs" by Arcade Fire, "Sleep Forever" by Crocodiles and Caribou.
Paolo: Baths, Emeralds, Tame Impala, Wild Nothing, Deerhunter, 70's psych stuff and many many others.

Where does the name Japanese Gum come from?

Davide: Well, this monicker has got a weird story.We can't exactly remember the meaning, because too many XXXX...hehee...but we were talking about the Kyoto Protocol for sure, and something came out from there. After a few days we talked about it and we thought it sounded good to us and we decided to keep it.
Paolo: I don't remember exactly. I just know that I liked the sound of it. So, we decided to use it.

Can you please explain your sound within five words or less?

Davide: Hahaha, not easy at all! Five words, dunno if could be enuf! OK I'll try: Shoegaze + Electronics + some Hip-Hop + Delays. Could it be?
Paolo: Let me think...dreamy, noisy, glitchy, trippy and melancholic.

You’ve got a handful of releases, which one is your favorite?
Davide: This is another quest hard to be answered. I like to say the last one we did, cos it's the closest to our current mood. We really do care about composing music that can reflect our present feelings.
Paolo: Probably "Hey Folks! Nevermind..." because it's the most complete. It had everything, as sounds, we wanted for our CD.

If you could tour with any band of your choice whom would it be with?
Davide: Uh! Another messing question! I love too many kinds of music to choose just one band! I'd really loved to tour with cLOUDDEAD...or Beach Boys as well too!! Unlucky for me, they're two bands that don't even exist anymore.
Paolo: Katy Perry? :-)

You’re from Italy right? Can you name some artists from that area that you believe deserve more attention?
Davide: Yep, we are from Genoa, on the North-West coast of Italy and actually there's an interesting bunch of good bands that come from our city. Personally I think in Italy there are lots of good bands, my fave ones are Father Murphy and A Classic Education, two bands that have also toured in States. And, also, Banjo Or Freakout, the project of an Italian guy based in London now, that is into Disco Drive and Walls (Kompakt) too.
Paolo: We really like Father Murphy. They also collaborate with us in a song of our first album. Other bands I like are: Drink To me, Claudio Rocchetti, and Comaneci.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Davide: Uhm... It could be really harsh to choose just one album! Probably, if I have to decide now, "Affenstunde" by Popol Vuh. I think that this album has got so many different facets that could be a huge source of inspiration.
Paolo: Maybe the first album of Silver Apples. It influenced so many groups I'm totally into their original ideas.

Are you living your dream?
Davide: I feel lucky to have all the chances to express my creative beings, let them flow, make music. I don't know exactly what could be my dream, cause for me the point is keep evolving from the research I'm into. I don't want to think of my music as a static thing that can't change shape and colors.
Paolo: No, I'm just trying to do what I like. One of my dreams would be living making music.

Thanx JG!

Japanese Gum are currently living the lives of one of the most underrated Indie Electronic/Dream Pop-ish acts today. Please do yourself a favor, and introduce your ears to Japanese Gum.

No comments:

Post a Comment