Monday, December 20, 2010

EIC'S10Q'S w/RiLF

"..may bring a tear to your ear. If it's raining where you are right now, you need this more than you need oxygen. .."


RiLF
Axiomatic Impassioned Apparatus

RiLF Bio:
RiLF is Tokyo based alternative band formed by the members of Anoice, Matryoshka and some friends at the beginning of 2010. The members are Takahiro Kido, Takahiro Matsue, Calu, Yuki Murata, Jyunko Tabira, Utaka Fujiwara, and Aki. After releasing their debut EP, “Era EP” under their live name “Ricco Label and Friends” they shortened the band name to RiLF. And now RiLF have just made their 1st album “Ferris Wheel”, which was just released off of the Ricco Label.



Hello, how are you?
Hi, Thank you for your being interested in our band RiLF and giving me the chance to do this interview. First of all, please let me introduce myself, I'm Takahiro Kido, the leader of RiLF. I am also as the owner of the Ricco Label, which is a music labe/home to Tokyo's RiLF.

What are you currently listening to?
Right now "Lost Horizons" by Lemon Jelly and "My Favorite Things" by John Coltrane. These albums make the fall season feel more fresh, I think.

What does “RiLF” stand for?

RiLF was named by abbreviating Ricco Label and Friends, it doesn't mean "Rapper I'd Like to Fxxk", though this word is often misunderstood.

Can you please explain your sound within five words or less?
Something to compose the nature

I LOVE your debut “Ferris Wheel”, you should be pretty proud of it as well. Will you be touring the US with this release?
Thank you very much. To our regret, we don't intend on touring the US right now because we are preparing to make our 2nd album, though we are scheduling some concerts with Dakota Suite in Japan.We may plan a tour in U.S. as soon as the next album comes out.

The song “Pray For A Piano” is particularly GORGEOUS, it kind of reminds me of Sigur Ros meets Miko. Were you at all influenced by either of these artists?
I like either artist, but this particular track was not influenced by their works. The song "Pray for the Piano" was composed by three members of RiLF. Takahiro Matsue (the bassist) played 4 notes on his piano, next I arranged it by adding strings, organs, voices and rhythm, and then Calu (the vocalist) laid her melody down on the track. I don't know what kind of music influenced Matsue and Calu when they made the melody, but I arranged this song while being conscious of some minimal music composers such as Arvo Part and Michael Nyman. These artists often make beautiful music for strings. Now that I think about it this particular composition does kind of remind me of Sigur Ros..

Do you guys have any side projects we should know about?

Yes. Some members of RiLF; me (Takahiro Matuse), Yuki Murata (the pianist), and Utaka Fujiwara (the violist) are also apart of Anoice. Which is a Tokyo based six-piece band, we have released 3 albums from Important Records and the Ricco Label. Calu is also member of Matryoshka which is an Electronica group from Tokyo, they have released one album from Novel Sounds and will release their 2nd album from Virgin Babylon Records next year. I've released some solo albums on PLOP and the Ricco Label, and intend to make my 6th and 7th album next year. Yuki has released 2 solo albums of impromptu piano sessions also on the Ricco Label. She has also released some works under another artist name. In addition, Me and Yuki formed a band called Cru we have released one album. Also me and Tadashi Yoshikawa (the drummer of Anoice) have released one album under the name of Mokyow (also off of Rico).

Can you name me 2-5 amazing artists from your hometown that deserve some attention?
Sorry.. I rarely listen to the works of fellow musicians in our hometown of Tokyo. But, if I could enumerate names of artists in Japan other than Tokyo, I would start with recommending Fuqugia, which is the solo project of Daiki Sakae. Whom is residing in Kagoshima south of Japan. He is a one of the most wonderful/original guitarists out there.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?

"Closing Time" Tom Waits. This is a very difficult question, so I might say another album if you asked me the same question tomorrow:)

Are you living your dream?
YES.

Thanx Takahiro!

RiLF are currently playing a few shows here and there, mostly in Japan, hopefully one day the rest of the world will have their moment in witnessing this terrific band live...

No comments:

Post a Comment