Monday, November 1, 2010

REVIEW: Seven Saturdays - The Snowflakes That Hit Us Became Our Stars

7.75 out of 10

Earlier this year newcomer Seven Saturdays wowed me with his debut self-titled EP. It was (and still kind of is) hard to take out of my CD player. Now (in the same year mind you) Seven Saturdays is on EP #2; "The Snowflakes That Hit Us Became Our Stars" which of-course is equally as beautiful/addictive. Now I am forced with the dilemma of "Which one do I listen to?".. I may have to get an extra pair of headphones so I can soak in both albums at the same time, I just can't seem to step away from one or the other.

On "The Snowflakes" Jonathan D. Haskell incorporates styles of Ambient (think Stars Of The Lid) with Post Rock (think Mogwai), a dash Neo Classical renderings (think Olafur Arnalds), and Nugaze (think M83). Mostly instrumental Seven Saturdays has away with giving each instrument it's own life force. Each note bends, bleeds, breathes and morphs into an unimaginative force of captivating beauty. Strings, piano, choirs, synths, white noises, guitar tones, drums and anything else that can be used to create serene illusions were all used on this release. My favorite sounds on this album are the "Jazzy" piano melodies and the whispering-whirling synthesizers/background noises, although, I don't know.. the guitar work on the last track "True Romance" is pretty dreamy..I could listen to music like this all the time.

Know this, I don't normally care for "Post Rock". It generally bores me, I don't care how "technical" or skilled the musicians are, it just falls flat between my headphones. But every once and a while a new sound-form/version of Post Rock comes along and sweeps me off my feet. I'm not 100% sure what that particular sound is, but it simply melts my heart in the right way. Not only is Seven Saturdays a perfect example of over the top/awesome "Post Rock", but also the perfect cinematic answer to love, heartbreak, happiness, sadness, triumph, loss and everything else in-between. Fans of being moved by emotional sounds, Seven Saturdays should/will become your new best friend after one visit. Recommended.

Standout Tracks: Au Revoir (gd gorgeous), Terrified Or Breaking Down, Piano Interlude I (a MUST OWN for fans of piano work), Piano Interlude II (see the last notes), True Romance (check out this sweet remix:)

No comments:

Post a Comment