Thursday, November 4, 2010

REVIEW: Miko - Chandelier

7.5 out of 10

Back in 2008 I had a very profound (somewhat philosophical) personal experience with a particular album. This specific divinity puts me in a trance every time I revisit/listen to it (a "psychedelic episode" if you will).. Every sound emitted assembles my version of perfectly form fitted heaven in between my ears. I'm in love with it (you wouldn't believe how much). I was consumed by this euphoric drug for many months following. Miko's "Parade" was 2008's best album, no doubt in my mind about that. Flash forward 2 years later, Miko's second official release "Chandelier" has finally arrived. The moment is finally here, no more waiting for that terrific old/familiar feeling..

"Chandelier" starts out with a bang (the "silent mind-numbing enchanting kind of a bang"). "Sea House" was originally streaming via Miko's MS page over a year ago and I'm not quite sure how I went that long without owning it. It's a beautiful track with what sounds like an aquatic life form struggling/surviving in a dark vast ocean. Really good track. After that Miko slips into a lighter more (almost) Pop oriented ballad which features an accordion and some twinkly piano sounds. A nice minimalistic approach to a melancholy J-Pop kind of sound. A lot of the tracks kind of stay in the vein of track 2, laid back, stripped to the bone "cutesy"/almost "balladsy" Pop music meshed with a few abstract electronic atmospheres and drones. The only "complaint" (if you want to call it that) I have about this album is that it seems to slip past my wars faster than the last album. By that I mean, the songs don't seem quite as psychotropic/staining as before. This is not bad thing, this is merely Miko offering me a new experience with her ravishing discords. "Chandelier" is quaint follow up to one of the best albums I've ever laid ear on. Fans of Miko will no doubt love this album.

"Chandelier" is a truly relaxing experience from beginning to end, I can't imagine anyone not being able to relax to these sounds. If you're looking for some super laid back Indie Pop with ambient structures and minimalistic electronic soundscapes look no further. I treasure every listening experience with Miko, I hope she continues to create new music for as long as I live. I can never get enough of music that has a way with lulling me into an acquiescental coma. RECOMMENDED. Oh, and did you ever hear THIS SONG? (I guess you could consider it EIC's "theme song"..) Good job Miko, more please?

Standout Tracks: Sea House, America (about 1:15 these cute little chip tune sounding tones come in..I want more of these), Ashitaga Hare Demo

No comments:

Post a Comment