Monday, November 8, 2010

EIC'S10Q'S w/Active Child

"..one of 2010's standout acts, as well as one of the most promising Nu-Gazer debuts since the term Nu-Gazer actually popped up.."

(Photo credit: Brent Mullins)

Active Child
Nu-Semblance Totality

Active Child Bio:
Active Child is the new project from choirboy-turned-indie pop musician Pat Grossi. His debut collection of songs features the skilled use of various 80s-tinged synths to create ethereal, soaring soundscapes, punctuated by crisp electronic drum samples and handclaps. All of this lays the groundwork for Grossi’s exquisite vocals, which, with their unearthly sound and evocative lyrics, take on an enchanting, hymnal quality that would not be out of place amongst the richly colored sunlight of a church’s stained-glass interior.

Active Child’s songs are an intriguing study in contrast. The organic elements of Grossi’s angelic vocals and the occasional delicate strumming of a harp cast light on the eerie darkness created by the haunting synths and cavernous reverberating of percussion.

Grossi cites the musical environment in his childhood home as an early inspiration for his own desire to make music. After participating in a school choir as a child, he joined the Philadelphia Boys Choir at age 10. The influence of chorale singing, along with the sensibility of non-secular music, is as apparent in Active Child’s work as the influence of 80s Synth Pop bands like New Order, Joy Division and Tears for Fears.



Hello, how are you?
I'm good, we have the day off in Tallahassee so its nice to stop and take a deep breath and see the city a little bit.

What are you currently listening to?
Right now on this tour we have been listening to a little bit of everything. But the new National album has been on high rotation as well the Twin Shadow album "Forget", really amazing piece of creation there.

How is the School Of Seven Bells touring treating you?

Tour so far has been a blast. Although its been really long and I think we are all ready to be home for a while, it's been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Just being given the opportunity to tour with School Of Seven Bells and play for so many new people is something I am incredibly grateful for and something I will never forget.

Where did the title “Active Child” originate from/is there a story behind this name?
No story on this one, sorry. I usually skip this question, ha.

Who/what are the main influences behind Active Child?
Big influences for me are The Knife/Fever Ray. I think Karin Dreijer Andersson has one of the best voices in music these days. Bjork is also a big influence melodically and production wise. And I am always inspired by big synthscape artists like Vangelis, M83, etc.

What kind of album were you trying to make when you made “Curtis Lane”?

I don't think I was consciously trying to make this or that. It all started with no expectations, just me sitting down putting together sounds that really resonated in my head, things that I was hearing in my head. Big drums hits, layer upon layer of vocal, sharp synth stabs, all that good stuff.

What’s your favorite track off it?
My favorite changes. "Wilderness" holds a special place in my heart mostly from the memory of when I made it, takes me back to a special time in my life Denver with a special person.

Is there a tentative title/release date for your debut full length yet?

No release date as of yet. Still need to get home and write more new stuff, but I am hoping for it to be out sometime in the spring of 2011...

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Wow, that's really not fair. Maybe I could live for a while with this old James Brown album "Live At The Apollo..", yeah I think that would have some longevity.

Are you living your dream?
I think I am starting to, I mean touring beats waking up for a 9 to 5 everyday right?

Thanx Pat!

Active Child recently signed to Vagrant (Congrats Pat!!). Look for the debut LP sometime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment