Monday, September 17, 2012

EIC's 10Q's w/ Felix

"..gentle Chamber Pop that comes off as delicate and somewhat traumatic/romantic.."


Felix
Merciful Crib (for an Overburdened Congregation)

Felix Bio:
Felix is the musical duo of Lucinda Chua and Chris Summerlin, who make their home in England.  Lucinda Chua is a classically trained pianist and cellist, has been a touring member of Stars of the Lid, and is an accomplished photographer. Chris also plays guitar in the rock band Lords.


Hello, how are you?
I am very well thank you, currently getting ready to leave London for the USA.

What are you currently listening to?
Two recent albums I've been really into are St Vincent's 'Strange Mercy' and Feist's 'Metals' album. From the vaults, I always have time for 'Rumors' by Fleetwood Mac and and just about anything by Otis Redding.

Care to tell us about your recent release ..overall theme, how it came about, were there any snags, etc.?
My new album is called 'Oh Holy Molar'; a collection of short songs about superstitious rituals and omens that help make sense of events that happen in life. I had the privilege of working with Peter Fletcher who recorded the album in an converted cinema from the 1940s, above an abandoned dental laboratory. I was joined by guitarist and long time collaborator Chris Summerlin with the new addition of drummer Neil Turpin - whose work I have been a huge admirer since watching him play live with Leeds trio Bilge Pump back when Felix first started out.

Do you have a favorite track from said release?
When we play live I really enjoy playing the title track, there's a real kick of energy driven by the tight pulse of the drums, something we didn't really explore with the first album. On the flip side I have a soft spot for the "Blessing". When I was writing that track I'd been studying the "Beatitude"s and "Da Pacem Domine" by Arvo Part with my choir - I got really into polyphonic singing from Estonian and Georgian folk music.

Will you be touring for this release?
I will be coming out of hibernation to open for Yann Tiersen on the first leg of his tour of North America..

Got any other/new side projects we should know about?
I've been collaborating with film maker Andrew Telling who created a short film for Blessing Parts I & II, we'll be working on some more projects in future. I have almost finished recording a covers album which I hope to release in some shape or form early next year - expect anything and everything from Hendrix and the B52s to Irma Thomas and Portishead.

Who's your favorite Kranky artist?
My favourite Kranky project at the moment has to be A Winged Victory For The Sullen - hands down one of the most incredible ensembles I have seen or heard in a long while. Adam and Dustin have something really special going on and I look forward to the future of their collaboration. On the whole, Kranky have some great artists on their rosta right now - Benoit Pioulard, Grouper/Tiny Vipers, Tim Hecker and of course SOTL who really helped me out before I signed - it's a real honor to be affiliated with these names.

If you could re-score any movie or TV show of your choice what would you choose and why?
It would have to be something by Terrence Malick, it'd be a dream to score for him. His films consistently blow me away; the way he presents these intimate narratives so beautifully and eloquently whilst all the time relating to a bigger picture. But his choice of music is pretty spot on as it stands, you can't really beat a bit of Carl Orff in Badlands!

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
There is a really great recording of the Borodin Quartet playing Ravel's String Quartet in F and the Shos 8. I must have bought that CD when I was about sixteen and I still listen to it now with the same enthusiasm.

Are you living your dream?
Ask me at the end of tour!

Thanx B & Lucinda!

Felix are currently one of the more underrated Kranky bands, perhaps when the covers album comes out they will get more of the respect they truly deserve...

No comments:

Post a Comment