Monday, July 9, 2012

REVIEW: Orcas - s/t

8.75 out of 10

OR(egon)/CAS(cadia) is an accronym. They (Orcas) describe their sound as "Haze Pop", which really says it all if you ask me. Orcas is also a new "side-project" featuring BenoƮt Pioulard and Rafael Anton Irisarri (The Sight Below). These two artists by themselves have always impressed (and inspired) me with their artistic ability, so when I heard about this project (almost 2 years ago--from THIS Broadcast cover) (naturally) I became intrigued/obsessed.

On their debut/self-titled release Orcas blend smokey/croon-full vocals with minimal guitar strumming (some warm, some damp), white noise (lush and densley layered), warm synthetic tones (fall into the lull), and GORGEOUS piano melodies (<-I ♥ the piano on this release). As I mentioned above "Haze Pop" really does say it all, for the most part the album is pretty slow & quiet, but if you can appreciate that sort of vibe you WILL become obsessed (just like I have) Orcas are extremely delicate and relaxing, they will eliminate all your stress, put you in a better mood (maybe..) and put your ears/brain in a trance given the right conditions (your ears work). You really do owe it to yourself to sit back and soak something in this beautiful, ..don't you?

One of my favorite releases of the year I definitely recommend this to anyone with good taste in music.

Standout Tracks: Arrow Drawn (reminds me of Cocteau Twins a lil), Standard Error (reminds me of Caretaker a lil), A Subtle Escape, Until Then (see above), Certain Abstractions

No comments:

Post a Comment