Monday, July 16, 2012

EIC's 10Q's w/ Ice Choir

"..ultra-rad/gleaming the cube glorious from the first breath of electronics to the last pulse of air.."


Ice Choir
Polished Enchantment

Ice Choir Bio:
Formed in October 2010, Brooklyn, NY, USA. Somewhere, amongst abstract romantic lyricism and pointilized synthesizer pastiche, the Ice Choir proposes to you, the listener, a most unfavorable “Pop” experience: imaginative songcraft minus the cool factor. Leaning heavily on the crumbling pillars of 1980’s Technopop production aesthetic, this is music that is both distinctly modern in composition and cripplingly esoteric. Waylaying melodies to mislead and seduce. Sentiments both saccharine and surreal. Formless constructs playing you out of that weird dream and into your cold reality. Kurt Feldman (guitar, programming, synthesizers, vocals) / Patrick South (synthesizers, fretless bass) / Raphael Radna (synthesizers) / Avery Brooks (percussion).


Hello, how are you?
 (Kurt didn't answer this one, we'll assume he's doing awesome though;)

What are you currently listening to?
Kikuchi Momoko's 'Adventure',  Reimy's 'R', and Kevin Dunn's 'No Great Lost: Songs, 1979-1985'

What's with the name, is there a story behind it?
I wrote a song called "The Ice Choir." It's a reference to that song. (the song references other things which I'd prefer to leave open to the listener's interpretation.)

LOVE your debut LP, care to tell us a little bit about it; theme, recording process, likes/dislikes, etc.?
I wrote it over the past year or so in my spare time, mostly while I was on tour with my other band, The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart. I was depressed and in a strange headspace when I wrote "Afar" and I'm glad it's behind me. It was recorded, piecemeal, in my apartment.

Will you be touring for said release?
Probably not.

In a dream world whom would you like to tour with the most?
I realize I could probably state some really obscure, long-defunct band here, but I'll refrain from doing that because I've toured a lot and it's a very humanizing and demystifying experience. In pretty much every instance I can think of, I'd just rather not see behind the curtain, so to speak. If I had to do a tour, it would be a triple bill with Violens and Chairlift because those guys are my friends, they're great songwriters and they'd be fun to hang around with for a month or so.

Got any other projects we should know about?
Definitely working on a new record with the Pains right now. Besides that, I've been focusing on other people's music lately, which has been really positive. I'm currently producing / arranging / programming the new Evan Only album and also writing some stuff for videogames. I'm scheduled to work on some other projects this summer which i'm pretty excited about.

What movie would work best on mute while listening to your music?
The NeverEnding Story?

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Creed's 'Human Clay'.

Are you living your dream?
No, getting closer, though.

Thanx Caroline and Kurt!

Ice Choir will be releasing their debut LP on July 31st, via the terrific Underwater Peoples label, be sure to check 'Afar' asap!

No comments:

Post a Comment