Wednesday, June 27, 2012

REVIEW: Brother Sun, Sister Moon - s/t

 8 out of 10

Vashti Bunyan meets Belong and/or Bowery Electric as well as Bibio (the cover image conveys the music perfectly..).

Gorgeously layered guitar loops, samples, drones, pluckings, etc. swimming and drowning between lush/complex synth layers, minimal Hip Hop-esque drum beats (in a few tracks), and "summertime-warm" atmospheres. BS,SM's debut self-titled release is very pretty and mellow, as well as great for a slow night on the patio (sorry I know I talk about "patio music" a lot, but I can't help it, it is the season for it after all). The tracks sway between "hazy/lush Ambiance", "sunny Psychedelia", & reverb-drenched Dream Pop. See band names mentioned above, get obsessed, it's that gorgeous.

Melodramatic tranquility is always a good thing. I like this one, I think I'll keep it.

Standout Tracks:I like 'em al, but especially; Cope, From Grain To Flower, One Throws And One Pulls (LOVE♥LOVE), South Downs By Morning, South Downs By Morning (Dale Cooper Quartet Remix)

No comments:

Post a Comment