Monday, September 12, 2011

REVIEW: Rebecca Peake - The World's Strongest

9 out of 10

Rebecca Peake has only existed for about a year now. With three full length albums, and over 150 (eventually 366) other random tracks, my friends, to say they’re prolific would be a bit of an understatement. When it came to choosing which piece of their music to review it was kind of a toss up, I honestly love all their albums pretty equally. I decided to start with the one I started on, which is their second album “The World’s Strongest”. From the very beginning of the album your attention will be “peake’d” and when it ends you may just have to cry or wet yourself (yes, it‘s “pee yourself quality” goodness).

Where do I even start with this project? How do I explain such a complex genre bounding enigma? First off let me set the record straight, although I have been referencing to the band as a “them” “it” is actually more of a “him”. James Webster is the master mind behind the entire project, of course he has lots of help when it comes to recording end of things, but he is the guy behind the pretty Rembrandt painted face. Rebecca Peake is not a real girl, but more of a chosen pseudo name referencing to two of James’ biggest mentors (one an author, the author a musician). When it comes to the writing portion of it, I just can’t wrap my head around a guy who can write one new song a day FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR (+the 3 LP’s!!) and not produce at least one “lame” track! In-case you haven’t been following this band they have a project called “366” which is where Ms. Peake releases a new song every day for an entire year. The thing is though, every song, EVERY song he’s put out has been worth listening to, not one felt like a filler. The talent just keeps blooming and blossoming every other day. The genre? Well.. Dream Pop is the easiest way of putting it I suppose, but you could also say Indie Rock-Electronic-Ambient-Bizarro-Spacey awesomeness. When the album starts you think you know where this band is about to take you, but you have no idea. The course quickly changes into something dark, and then something bittersweet, and then something spacey, and then to something weird and most importantly beautiful. The process of hearing it all unfold is quite elegant if I do say so myself. Every genre wraps and intertwines perfectly around each other. With it’s fair share of head nodders, hip wigglers, and shoe gazings is it too soon to ask, “James, are you a perfectionist?”? Perhaps some supreme being from another dimension with an eye from a distant future? How do you write all of these amazing songs and not tire?? I just can’t find a flaw in anything you’re doing right now, please don’t stop (please don’t stop).

If you don’t get this you will hate yourself eternally (plus I will hate you). To those that know of her majesty you know what to do when I say bow to Rebecca’s alluring & enchanting powers. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED(x366+3LPs).

Standout Tracks: O WOW. ALL. ESPECIALLY!!: Gemini Rupture (G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S-.-)

No comments:

Post a Comment