Monday, September 19, 2011

REVIEW: Elite Gymnastics - Ruin (1 & 2)

8.5 out of 10

I was first introduced to Elite Gymnastics via their "Neu! 92" release, I wasn't ready for it yet. I then (now) became (re)introduced to Elite Gymnastics with their set of "Ruin" EP's. I can't/won't (ever) turn my ears the other way again.

Elite Gymnastics proclaim K(orean)Pop, LCD Soundsystem, and Whitehouse as some of their bigger influences. Honestly, when I listen to EG I feel I'm taking a stroll down memory lane.. By that I mean, Elite Gymnastics remind of an early Nothing Records artist, or perhaps one of the more "radio friendly" Industrial acts such as God Lives Underwater (meets Her Space Holiday ..kinda), maybe. I do hear the "DFA-isms", but not at all in the way you would think. "Ruin" (both 1 & 2 ..soon to be 1 full vinyl) is full of of previously mentioned sounds AS WELL AS dance, Haze/Gaze (Radio Dept.-esque), House/Break Beat, Indie Pop/K-Pop, and that mega catchy (almost unexplainable) "MGMT-like vibe". The best way I can think to explain their sound is "like a lost soundtrack to an early Greg Araki film". Hopefully that name means something to you, it should if it doesn't.

Their already on everybody else's radar, they'll soon be on yours, Elite Gymnastics will become a sensation before you know it. You (must submit) will get this (now) Recommended. PS If you were paying attention, you could've gotten this for free. Just as the band says, "you snooze you lose.."

Standout Tracks: So Close To Paradise (nope, it's there), Little Things, Here In Heaven 2 (it shouldn't end..), Little Things 2, Omamori 2 (SOOO PERFECT.)

No comments:

Post a Comment