Monday, March 28, 2011

REVIEW: David Shane Smith - Controls SM

8.75 out of 10

I had never heard of David Shane Smith prior to him sending me "Controls SM". That's so typical, some of the best/most unique talent out there, being ignored/going unnoticed (I know, I'm repeating myself). Any-how, now that I have (finally) become acquainted with Mr. Smith's talent/sound (over and over actually) I find myself slightly happier and fulfilled.

I'm not sure if you want to consider this his third official release or not, but on David's (third) release "Controls SM" you will hear him master his unique craft of mixing "Lo-fi-Indie-Experimental-Pop" with a bit of Electronics and "estranged" atmospheres a little more. His sound is somewhat unmatched. Although, you may hear slight nods towards a couple Indie bands of yesterday; Microphones, Fog, Clouddead (a tad bit anyways), and Throbbing Gristle (no, this album is not "Industrial") to name a few. "Controls SM" is an acquired taste, it is my taste (almost) 100%. It's an album that has that "good-kind" of weird vibe to it, makes you nod your head while listening to it, is completely relaxing/fun, and just all around astonishing (especially if you like any of those bands mentioned above). Each song standouts from (almost against) the next, but the absurdity in sounds is what makes this album so cohesive. Hand's down one of my favorite releases of 2011. This is probably the most unique experience your headphones will have this year. It's a shame this may/will go unnoticed. Oh yeah, (I almost forgot) Did I mention it (the album) is free (as well as a few others HERE.)?

HIGHLY Recommended (ESPECIALLY towards the proper set (the "right" kind) of ears).

Standout Tracks: All, All, All & Cool Pesticide, Freaks, Ifeelalive (Clouddead Vs. Throbbing Gristle--don't want this song to end), Shampoo, Global Warming Makes Me Hot (Feat. Ice Truck) (sooooooo yummy--reminds me of Air), Blackbirds (one of the best tracks of '11), Overfeeling (reminds me of Owen Pallett--kind of), Gasmask (reminds me of Aphex Twin--yeah, this guy really is all over the place..)

No comments:

Post a Comment