Monday, August 30, 2010

REVIEW: Azure Ray - Drawing Down The Moon

7 out of 10

I first became aware of Azure Ray's amazing talent from 2003's "Hold On Love". In my opinion that album is still the crowning achievement of Saddle Creek (you can debate me if you'd like, but I doubt you'll change my opinion on this one). Sure, there have been some amazing albums from Saddle Creek, but none of them tugged on my heart strings more than "Hold On Love". To this day every time I listen to it I blush from how romantic, melodramatic, & nostalgic it makes me feel. For anyone who hasn't heard Azure Ray, I definitely recommend starting with "Hold On Love" (you can thank me later). It's a little bit of Folk Pop mixed with minimal electronic sounds, strings, solid production, and the prettiest female harmonization's you may ever here. Anyways, nearly 7 years later the girls are back with a new full length titled "Drawing Down The Moon", and once again, I feel a "slight" tug beneath my chest..

"Drawing Down The Moon" seemed immanent. How do you release one of the most amazing Modern Folk albums ever made and not even try to follow it up? There have been a few EP's/Singles since "Hold On Love", but none of them really "comparable" to it's honesty/triumph. You can lay you head down now though, get comfy.. Fall into a heavy REM state. Once you hear the beautiful harp work your dream will begin. You will hear/feel the heavenly voices of Orenda Fink and Maria Taylor tucking you in. You are now back in Azure Ray's arms, you can relax now. On "Drawing Down The Moon" AR may have decided to turn the "Pop" and "Electronics" up a little bit, but it's still pretty, fluffy, & radiant. "Drawing Down The Moon" is Azure Ray's "modern" response to their "old" sound. The production, tight as usual. Fetching electronic beats underneath acoustic guitars, ringing-reverberated tones, & sustained keys provide an uplifting experience while maintaining a relaxing atmosphere. The vocals are (as always) in peak shape and the lyrics are just as endearing/personal as one could expect. There are elements of Trip Hop (almost), Classical (somewhat), Dream Pop (maybe), and Folk (I suppose). And although these elements may sound "conflicting" to some, they are not. The sounds within are alluring and confiding. The "heavenly dream-like" state Azure Ray shares with you hasn't been replaced, it's merely been touched up with some modern chivalrous euphoria and Pop sensibility.

I like it. If you're into (or not into) the Saddle Creek sound you will like this. I like what Azure Ray does with Folk music. I think a lot of "Folk-sters" could learn from AR's style. Don't be afraid to dabble with your genre, add something "modern", add something "vintage", just make sure what you offer is you and "unique" to you. Recommended.

Standout Tracks: Wake Up Sleepyhead, In The Fog, Larraine, Make Your Heart, Signs In The Leaves (love the piano on this one), Love And Permanence, Shouldn't Have Loved

No comments:

Post a Comment