Monday, April 12, 2010

REVIEW: Blank Dogs - Phrases

7.5 out of 10

"Phrases" is the latest offering from Brooklyn native Mike Sniper (Blank Dogs). Much like his previous releases Mr. Dogs focuses his attention on the "poppier" side of Lo-Fi Gothic New Wave music. The main difference between this release and any of the past Blank Dogs releases is the amount of attention put towards the production. Much like Cold Cave did with their debut LP, the "vintage charm" remains, but the production/overall song compositions sound way more plotted and a tad more "user friendly". In other-words, yes, "Phrases" is (in my opinion) Blank Dogs strongest release to date and an exciting peek into the constantly evolving world of underground Lo-Fi Gothic/Industrial/New Wave music that has become oh-so popular.

I have to be admit, I was pretty excited to hear this EP based off of the free single that surfaced a little bit ago. However, I had no idea I would like it as much as I do. The first track, the single, is a great reminder of where all catchy Gothic Dance bands get their start. I love the simplicity of a good arpeggiated keyboard sound mixed with a lingering synth backdrop. The second track has a guitar riff that could easily be mistaken for something you would hear on a Cure album from the mid 80's. From then on I am reminded of more of my favorite 80's New Wave acts like Fad Gadget, Gary Numan, etc. The guitar work isn't "revolutionary", but that's what I like about it, simplicity always keeps my head bobbing easier. Also, I should mention the vocals; they sound way better + you can actually make out lyrics this time around. "Clarity" is the best word to describe Blank Dogs new/refurbished sound. Any fan of Gothic/New Wave music will/should fall in-love with the sounds presented on "Phrases". May the movement keep moving forward..

I like this release, and I hope you do too. Fans of Cold Cave and/or Silk Flowers or New Wave music in general make sure to check into this release post-haste (even if you didn't care for previous Blank Dogs releases). Recommended.

Standout Tracks: Heat And Depression, Blurred Tonight, End Of Summer (a good song to do the robot to)

No comments:

Post a Comment