Monday, December 28, 2009

EIC'S10Q'S w/Andrew Broder

"..I've only connected with music the way I did with this album a few times in life. You know that feeling when you feel warm with goose bumps, maybe a sense of fulfillment as if your many asked questions to life have been acknowledged? With a cunning mixing of piano, vinyl scratching/mixing, acoustics, bizarre samples, beautiful bird calls, and an amazing broken voice I felt born again/complete.."


Andrew Broder
Peculiar Transcendental Individuality

Andrew Broder Bio:
Multi-instrumentalist Andrew Broder began making eccentric turntablist music as Fog and hooked up with the British label Ninja Tune. Born in Minneapolis, MN, where he continued to reside, Broder turned to music as an escape from the outside world. He confined himself to his basement and learned several instruments while simultaneously taking an interest in the escapist aspects of hip-hop. Eventually, after growing ill and dropping out of school, Broder dedicated himself to music, crafting eccentric tracks that were rooted in hip-hop but integrated numerous other elements and instruments. His recordings attracted the interest of prominent British trip-hop label Ninja Tune, who released a self-titled collection of his work in 2002, followed by the Check Fraud 12". At this point, Broder began collaborating with a few fellow Minneapolis musicians — guitarist Jeremy Ylvisaker, bassist Baer Erickson, drummer Martin Dosh — and turned his solo project into a full-fledged group capable of performing live.



Hello, how are you?
Doing well. Enjoying some time at home after a couple months on the road.

What are you currently listening to?
Mount Eerie, Wilco, Lil Wayne, Sadat X, Henryk Gorecki, Themselves, Neil Young

Your recent solo albums were pretty dark and droney, when you wrote those (download only) albums were you going through a dark patch in your life?
No, I guess they could sound dark, but I made them with a sense of newfound motivation and optimism, stripping what music meant to me back down to the basics. Improvising, working fast, exploring, trying things out. I actually really enjoyed myself doing those.

Is Fog still on hiatus?
Yes. Indefinitely. Fog is no longer. If and when I start writing songs again and wanting to form a band, I'll do that. It may be under a different name, different lineup. Who knows. There is no timeline.

I can’t tell you/put in words how important the album “Ether Teeth” is to me.. Is there any chance of you writing another album like that in the future? Maybe going back to your roots of mixing bedroom pop with turntables..
Thanks. I like that album too, but it was pretty specific to it's time. I don't think I could try to go back a previous style if I tried, but I continue to use turntables in my work, and will continue to write songs- but I'm afraid I have no desire to make bedroom-style music, or whatever you might call it.

How about Hymies Basement, think that project will ever be resurrected?
I played on "Alopecia" and "Eskimo Snow" by Why? and am touring as a member of his band right now, playing guitar. We're even playing some Hymie's songs. That is the extent of my collaboration with Yoni for the time being, but I can't predict the future.Many of the circumstances surrounding that record that made it special can't be repeated, so I don't know.

How do you come up with your “abstract” lyrics?
I write lyrics very sporadically, usually only if I have to. I don't know, I don't really have a specific process, usually just a line or two will come to me, and then I sit with it for a while, try to expand on it's mood or idea, until I have something that makes sense, at least to me. Or if I hear somebody say something interesting, I might steal it, or if I see something unusual or perceptive out in the world, I might make a note of it as something to mention.

Out of all the songs you have written which one are you most proud of?
"What's up Freaks"

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
I dunno man, that's always an impossible question to answer. Sonny Sharrock "Ask the Ages"?

Are you living your dream?
I have had many different dreams, they change as life goes on. In some respects yes, in others no.


Thanx Andrew!

Andrew Broder is currently taking a rest at the moment, while you have the time make sure to catch up on all of his amazing audio accomplishments...

No comments:

Post a Comment